Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Good scope for quick shots PLEASE HELP >

Good scope for quick shots PLEASE HELP

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Good scope for quick shots PLEASE HELP

Old 06-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Spike

Default Good scope for quick shots PLEASE HELP

Im going to be deer hunting this year with my 870 20ga. and am torn between what to do. Theres allota bears around where i hunt so i wanted to beable to make quick snap shots if necassary, but also wanted a good scope for out to 100 yards if i see a nice deer. I was thinking about just going with the rifled barrel with no scope mount...then again like i said id love to have a scope...Is there a scope thats fitting for my conditions? or should i hunt open sights...Another question, hows the accuracy with open sights from a rifled barrel out to around 60 yards? Good enough to get the job done?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Spike

O yea....also, what effect will my 20ga slug have ona bear so happen a freak attack occured?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a 1-4 power variable would fit your needs. With todays saboted slugs, a rifled barrel slug gun should give you rifle-like accuracy at 60 yd, assuming you do your part. And, if you hit a bear in the vitals with that slug, it'll put his lights out right now.
However if you gut-shoot him, it won't matter what you use to do it.

But, frankly, I think, if you are talking about black bears, your imagination is your worst problem. We hunt around them all the time. They want absolutely nothing to do with you.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

The bushnell slug gun scope is a 1-4 variable with a circle x reticle, it would be great for what your doing and it costs around 70 bucks.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i was thinkin a red dot scope.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Spike

Would anyone hunt with open sights?
Old 06-19-2010, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting with open sights is always an option, especially in close cover. But, even then I'd carry binoc's or something to be able to check out suspicious shapes or movement in the brush. Either way, it's good to have an optical advantage.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

Im with Wingbone, when hunting on the ground there are always suspicious shapes and movement that I put glass on for minutes at a time. If you go iron sights get binos for sure.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:04 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by RemyFan
Would anyone hunt with open sights?
Absolutely. You just can't go wrong. With any of my semi autos or levers, I like to use iron sights. Whats sad today is the skill of hitting with iron sights is being lost.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

I would go with iron sights. No need for a scope when shooting deer at less than 100 yds. And don't let bears scare you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.