Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Nikoplex scope input?? >

Nikoplex scope input??

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Nikoplex scope input??

Old 04-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Spike

Default Nikoplex scope input??

I will be doing an upcoming elk hunt and was thinking about a new scope but didn't want to spend $500+ if I didn't have to. I was thinking about the Nikon Monarch in the Nikoplex and didn't know whether it is better to go with the 4 x 16 or the 3 x 12 or 2.5 x 10. I was thinking about getting the obj dia in 42mm. I am assuming the longest shot may be 300 yards but more likely closer to 200 yards.

All these scopes are roughly the same size and cost about the same price.

I assume the 10x is enough but want my minimum mag. a little higher so I'll probably rule out the 2.5 x 10. I know the bigger the magnification the weight and length increases. Will I loose clarity or field of view? What other factors do i need to consider? What size would you choose?

My other thought is that I'd sight my gun in for 200 yds. If the animal is ranged at 300 yds I just hold 6 inches higher. I don't see a need to buy a more expensive scope.

All input is appreciated.

Thank you!!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

I have 3x9x40 bbuckmasters with the nikoplex reticle and it offers great glass and is more than enough magnification to shoot out to 400 yards.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with the Nikon Monarch 4-16X42. When you have a scope on 3 power and another scope on 4 power, the magnification is almost identical. But when you start cranking it up to the higher settings, you can really notice a difference. I think the 4-16 would be a great all around scope for whatever you may encounter. Close shots, far shots, and everything in between. I like the Nikoplex Reticle also.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

+1 for "I'd go with the Nikon Monarch 4-16X42"

However this is what I use;

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigselect.html

In a 4X-16X 44MM Illuminated Ballistic Plex Reticle
Old 04-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I assume the 10x is enough
You are absolutely correct here. There is absolutely no reason what so ever to have more than 10 times magnification on a big game rifle.

but want my minimum mag. a little higher so I'll probably rule out the 2.5 x 10.
And this is where you went off course.
Why would one want to sacrifice low end magnification on a big game rifle unless it is a specialty long range rifle that is used under very specific conditions? If you get a 15 yard shot on a bull elk in thick timber you will dang sure wish you had opted for the scope with the lower magnification. A big game rifle should have no more than 3 times magnification at the low end. If you can get higher magnification while still maintaining no more then 3X at the low end (such as the 3-12X) then by all means do it but if you sacrifice low magnification mark my words there will come a day when you will want to kick yourself in the butt for not listening to me.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Spike

Default nikoplex

The nikoplex comes in a 3 x 12 or 4 x 16. If I'm reading you right you'd choose the 3 x 12, right? I have a 3 X 9 Burris. Maybe that is enough? Don't know as I've never shot at anything 300 yards from me.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

The nikoplex comes in a 3 x 12 or 4 x 16. If I'm reading you right you'd choose the 3 x 12, right?
Absolutely.

I have a 3 X 9 Burris. Maybe that is enough?
It is definitely enough scope that will serve you well beyond 300 yards when shooting at big game under hunting conditions.

A few important things to remember about high magnification.
#1. eye position becomes increasingly critical as the magnification increases. There is no room for error for your eye to be out of position with high magnification. If your eye isn't positioned perfectly behind the scope you will not see your target.
#2. The higher up you go in magnification your field of view becomes increasingly narrower.
#3. The higher up you go in magnification the less bright your scope will be all other things being equal.
#4. most of the time as the magnification increases the scopes eye relief becomes less and less forcing you to move your eye increasingly closer to the scope. This isn't a problem with a .243 but can become a major concern in a 300 magnum or 338 magnum.

Bottom line is leave the high magnification to varmint rifles and long range precision rifles.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Spike

This is the kind of things I suspected but didn't know for sure. Thanks for the great advice!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

As to magnification I regularly shoot sillhouettes out to 400 with a fixed six power weaver . I believe that Bulls is right as far as the lower magnification. Your average hunting shot is usually less than a hundred yards on most big game anyway.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted elk in a lot of different places and sometimes wished for more magnification, sometimes less. An elk is a very large target that is handled well with a 9x or 10x out to 300 yards or more if he is in an open park but you need a much lower power setting if you are in timber or all you will see in the scope will be hair.
If you will be hunting sage flats go for more magnification, otherwise less is probably the best choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.