Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

nikon prostaff

Old 02-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default nikon prostaff

nikon prostaff:

Plan on purchasing this scope for me next rifle in a few weeks, will i be satisfied? any last things i should know? thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read this great writeup
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21176

I wouldn't get one. For not much more you can get some great scopes that seem to be a lot better from reading that review. I'd go for the Burris Fullfield II or the Vortex Diamondback instead.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bloodsaw
nikon prostaff:

Plan on purchasing this scope for me next rifle in a few weeks, will i be satisfied? any last things i should know? thanks

Save your money a little while longer and pick up a Bushnell Elite 4200 for $240.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Read this great writeup
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21176

I wouldn't get one. For not much more you can get some great scopes that seem to be a lot better from reading that review. I'd go for the Burris Fullfield II or the Vortex Diamondback instead.
Koshkin is still around and is now recognized by some (other than himself) as an expert? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I guess his is as good as most. Durablity and reliability are the most important things in a hunting scope. Who cares if the image is clear if the guts shake loose and it causes you to miss or wound game?
The only important opinion is that of the guy who buys the scope for his rifle. A couple of brands have a reputation for failing at the wrong time, but this is not the case with the scope mentioned by the OP. If it looks good to you, buy it and be happy.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

I have a nikon prostaff 3-9 on the muzzleloader and on a 6,5x55 and they are the clearest, most accurate optic I have ever shot. Definetly something that you should invest your money in!
BigBuck95
Old 02-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not waste my money on a Prostaff. Additionally, Ilya (Koshkin) is VERY knowledgeable on all things optic. I'd trust him and John B. on recommendations without hesitation.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Koshkin is still around and is now recognized by some (other than himself) as an expert? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I guess his is as good as most. Durablity and reliability are the most important things in a hunting scope. Who cares if the image is clear if the guts shake loose and it causes you to miss or wound game?
The only important opinion is that of the guy who buys the scope for his rifle. A couple of brands have a reputation for failing at the wrong time, but this is not the case with the scope mentioned by the OP. If it looks good to you, buy it and be happy.
While I agree it holding up is the most important thing, clarity is very important also. A guy I hunt with was sitting in his stand this last season and right as the sun was going down the field filled up with 6-8 deer. He could see them just fine but when he put his scope up he couldn't see them enough to get a shot at them. With my Burris I can see after I can't see clearly with my eyes anymore. Like when the edges of the fields start looking dark and I can't see them but I can see in the middle of the field I can still see the edges through the scope. This is a really nice thing to have when hunting. If I can get a scope that's a lot better clairity wise for not much more and has just as good of a reputation as holding up why wouldn't I get it?

It's kind of like comparing a Remington 770 to a Savage 110 or Marlin XL-7. The 770's work but they aren't good guns. They feel super cheap and if you break parts expect to replace the gun. If you wear the barrel out you get a new gun since you can't change barrels. However, does it work to hunt with? It sure does. Why though would you buy it when you could be a Savage or Marlin that would last a lifetime, if you have problems you could replace the parts, and is more accurate and a better gun to start with?

If it was a $300 price difference between the scopes that would be one thing but it's not. Seems like people buy stuff like this that while it's decent isn't the best then they want to try to talk everyone else into buying it because they did even if they can get something better.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 02-19-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
I would not waste my money on a Prostaff. Additionally, Ilya (Koshkin) is VERY knowledgeable on all things optic. I'd trust him and John B. on recommendations without hesitation.
He gave his opinions, but did only limited testing for use as a hunting scope. These were borrowed scopes, so he did nothing to determine the durability of the products.
He based his opinions on his testing of one sample scope from each manufacturer. If he had used enough test items to give any stastical validity it would certainly have had more value. His comments about the rough spots in the Burris product may have been a one in ten thousand problem, or they may be a one in ten problem (does one tall person in Ohio mean that all people in Ohio are tall?).
His article is fine, but his testing methods do not produce meaningful results - just his opinion.
I am getting off topic, which does not really help the OP. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 02-20-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

What seems to be everyones issue with the Prostaffs???
They are THE best optic I have shot. To each his own......
BigBuck95
Old 02-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Points well taken Big Uncle, however, opinions from knowledgeable, trained people are better (IMO) than from everyday Joe Public. That said, buy and use whatever you like...that's what I do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.