Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Nikon BDC reticle...good or bad? >

Nikon BDC reticle...good or bad?

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Nikon BDC reticle...good or bad?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Nikon BDC reticle...good or bad?

I've got a Monarch with the BDC reticle, and I haven't been the biggest fan of it so far. Although it did put shots fairly close all the way out to 600, in the little time I used it on the range. I guess I'm used to putting a hash mark on the target and shooting and the circles are something I haven't mastered yet. Does anyone have any helpful hints or other thoughts about these scopes?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

What gun and what is it sited in at?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by pnut
What gun and what is it sited in at?
I was just talking in general about the scope, buti t's on a 223 right now shooting 40grn v-maxs sighted in a 200. Dots line up all the way out to 600 with it, but for small targets at that range the circles don't really give me a precise aiming point. I can bust clay birds at 400 consistantly, but farther than that the circle is too big. I can adj the power to make the top or bottom of the circle the aiming point, but that takes too long to get on target and think where to aim.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion is much like yours...I don't really care for the BDC.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have any experience with the BDC but I do with the Luepold LRD reticle.
In the manual it says that for the LRD to work properly that you need to leave the scope on it's highest power. There is also a graph about gun caliber to bullet ratio and how the drop is supposed to work together. Have you read your manual because I'm sure you have something similar.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM
bigcountry

I have this same scope and not a big fan of the BDC. I would rather have mildots.
You have to site the gun in, and then play around with scope powers to know how to hit critters at a distance.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by pnut
I don't have any experience with the BDC but I do with the Luepold LRD reticle.
In the manual it says that for the LRD to work properly that you need to leave the scope on it's highest power. There is also a graph about gun caliber to bullet ratio and how the drop is supposed to work together. Have you read your manual because I'm sure you have something similar.
I looked throught the manual, but their info didn't match up to what my gun was actually shooting. By adj the power, I can get the dots to be on target, which really isn't the problem, its the circles are too big for precise shot placement at long ranges on small targets. There's no consistancey. For hitting larger targets it works ok at long range.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sns21
I looked throught the manual, but their info didn't match up to what my gun was actually shooting. By adj the power, I can get the dots to be on target, which really isn't the problem, its the circles are too big for precise shot placement at long ranges on small targets. There's no consistancey. For hitting larger targets it works ok at long range.
I see. That's exactly why I didn't buy a Nikon BDC. I was looking at them and just thought there was too much going on in the glass.
The Leupold LRD reticle is just notches which is why I went this route.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Burris ballistic plex for me (illuminated) !!!

http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

As I please................."Relentless..." where have you been ?

My long lost buddy !!!

Your name came up the other day, when we were talking about barrel break-in. LOL

Great video !!!

I was braggin' on ya !!!

Welcome.................As I Please :-(

Get strapped-on everyone, including you MR. Monitor.

After all it's Relentless Pursuit !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.