Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Shotgun Scope???

Old 01-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Spike

Default Shotgun Scope???

I'm getting a mossberg 500 deer/field 12 ga. i want to buy a scope for it. I dont know ANYTHING about shotgun scopes, please help me.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GameSlayer123456
I'm getting a mossberg 500 deer/field 12 ga. i want to buy a scope for it. I dont know ANYTHING about shotgun scopes, please help me.

Just get something cheap. Bushnell Banner 1.5X4 anything else is a waste, don't try to shoot it past 75 yards.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Spike

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Vabyrd is right in that you don't need much magnification since the shotgun is not very accurate at distance. Another option, and my preference is something a reflex sight like the Burris Fastfire. If you do want a scope, then go with relatively low magnification and look for something rated for shotgun. since not everything can handle the kick.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting, I've never heard anybody recommend getting something cheap...especially for a typically hard recoiling slug thrower. That's not what I'd recommend.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

I'd go with a fixed power scope, which tend to hold up better than variables on hard kicking guns. Many good options out there for shotguns from Nikon and Bushnell. The reflex sights are a good idea too if you are hunting close range, or moving targets might be presented.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
Interesting, I've never heard anybody recommend getting something cheap...especially for a typically hard recoiling slug thrower. That's not what I'd recommend.

Actually, he'd be better off staying with open sights. Can't see dumping $$$ into a thumper like that.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Just get something cheap. Bushnell Banner 1.5X4 anything else is a waste, don't try to shoot it past 75 yards.
Not trying to be agrumentative and I state this respectively, but I strongly disagree with this statement.

I would advise not putting a "cheap" scope on any gun that you plan on hunting game with. Cheap scopes will fail, especially on a hard kicking slug gun. I work too hard and my time in the woods is too valuable to worry about whether my equipment is still working properly. Nothing is more sickening that working all season to get one shot, one opportunity, to take the buck you have been chasing all season - only to miss because your "cheap" equipment fails you.

The difference between "shotgun" scopes and "rifle" scopes is magnification and parallax settings. For shotgun scopes (typically less magnification than 3-9) parallax is typically factory-set at 50 or 75 yards. Rifle scopes (standard 3-9 type scopes) have parallax set at 100 yards or, for those with higher degrees of magnification than 3-9, parallax is adjustable by turning the objective bell and changing the focal point of the image to match the plane of the retical.

I would suggest something like a Nikon Buckmaster, Bushnell 3200, Burris Fullfield II in 2-7 power. These can be bought for around $200.00 - 250.00 new or much less used. Look on ebay - I have several scopes I bought used off ebay and have been very satisfied. In general you are much better off with a good used scope than a cheap new one. In many cases the lifetime warranty transfers to the new owner. If not, you still have a better, clearer scope that is less likely to fail than the cheap one.

I have a Bushnell trophy 1.75 X 4 on my Mossberg 835 turkey gun. That gun kicks pretty hard, but that scope has held up well so far. I don't shoot that gun but 3-4 times a season, so it isn't taking a lot of punishment. I wouldn't be suprised if the scope fails before I can get it replaced with the Eotech holosight that I am saving for.

Remember - you get what you pay for in optics.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

This will do you just fine....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

But if you want to put $2,000 worth of rims on a Ford Pinto, go for it....
Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

1.5-4.5x
or
2-7x

I wouldn't go any higher than either of those...
Old 02-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Spike

I would reccomend a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 power. I've had one on my slug gun for the past 5 years and it works great. Great scope for a slug gun with a lifetime warranty. With Sabots you should be able to get some nice groups out to 100 yds +. Just my $.02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.