Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Sako Scope Rings

Old 12-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Spike

Default Sako Scope Rings

Up until yesterday, I was going to get a Sako A7, but I decided to spoil myself and got a Sako 85 in .300 wsm (Merry Christmas to me!) I'm pretty sure I'm going with a Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x56, but chances are that it's gonna have to wait til next month.

My question is, what rings would be best? I know I'm pretty limited on choices but am leaning towards Warne, Talley QD, or Conterol. I want to go as low as possible but still need something rugged. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 12-29-2009, 06:08 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Dannyz122001
Up until yesterday, I was going to get a Sako A7, but I decided to spoil myself and got a Sako 85 in .300 wsm (Merry Christmas to me!) I'm pretty sure I'm going with a Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x56, but chances are that it's gonna have to wait til next month.

My question is, what rings would be best? I know I'm pretty limited on choices but am leaning towards Warne, Talley QD, or Conterol. I want to go as low as possible but still need something rugged. Any suggestions? Thanks

I have Sako rings on my 75. I can't say I like em. I lock tight the crap out of em, ane they have yet to come loose. Just don't like the idea of a simple screw holding the bases down. They are insanely expensive. Conterol are good for most of my applications but so confusing on what to buy for a sako and how they will look. Not the same application as a simple rem700.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Sako 85 ring choices

IMO, your best best are Talley's. I've gone through the Sako Optilocks, Warne's and Conetrols. The Optilocks are heavy, pricey and often hard to find. They work fine and I did like the polymer inserts. The Warne's DID NOT fit the dovetail well and did not hold. The Conetrols are very nice, expensive and took a lot of fitting to get right. They look great when done however. The Talley's slid on, tightened down and have been great. If you are interested in the Optilocks, I have low and medium height rings plus the bases I'll sell for a very reasonable price. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:33 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
IMO, your best best are Talley's. I've gone through the Sako Optilocks, Warne's and Conetrols. The Optilocks are heavy, pricey and often hard to find. They work fine and I did like the polymer inserts. The Warne's DID NOT fit the dovetail well and did not hold. The Conetrols are very nice, expensive and took a lot of fitting to get right. They look great when done however. The Talley's slid on, tightened down and have been great. If you are interested in the Optilocks, I have low and medium height rings plus the bases I'll sell for a very reasonable price. Good luck.
Are you optilock rings stainless?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am like bigcountry I have the Sako Optilock rings on my Sako 75 and I do not like them. They have not failed me but I still do not like them.

Dannyz122001, You are going to fall in love with the Sako 85. The Sako 85 is a Much better built rifle than the A7. You will be glad you spent the extra money on the 85.
You are also picking a great scope. You will have a great gun & scope combo that will last you a lifetime.

Have fun with it & good luck hunting,

WK
Old 12-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Spike

So I guess the general consensus would be to go with the Talley's. Any idea as to what size or should I just call them to be certain?

Thank you all for the responses. As mentioned earlier, this is the gun that I want to last me a lifetime (with a few more toys along the way I'm sure) so I just want to make sure to do it right. Thanks again
Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Country, the Optilocks are blued not stainless.

Danny, Talley ring heights tend to run on the high side. I have lows that worked with a Kahles 3-9 X 42 scope. I'm thinking up to a 44mm. If your scope selection exceeds that, you will probably need mediums.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zee Rings "Weaver Style" with off set inserts

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings1.html#2
Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Zee Rings "Weaver Style" with off set inserts

http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings1.html#2
I always wondered why would any company need to have offset inserts. Then I bought a crap burris and found out they had so little recticle adjustment they had to compensate for thier design. Also those inserts did not hold my scope very well with anything over a 300RUM.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

BC,

They make the inserts so you don't need to "click" your turrets 250 times to get your gun zeroed !!!

BTW - Do you make scopes ?

I can only assume you do, so what is the name of your scopes ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.