Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Flounder Gigging ?

Old 03-23-2005, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default Flounder Gigging ?

Does any one here do it ?

And how and when is a good time to do it ?

Thank you
Old 03-26-2005, 03:53 PM

Default RE: Flounder Gigging ?

I go mullet giging and when I see a flounder i stick him too. Down here in Florida we get alot of sheephead, mullet, and flounder. the best time is Nov. and Dec. down here. the fish have row and are good size. We use an airboat with lights mounted on the front so you can see the fish o yeah you go at night and make sure you have a good tide like at least 1.5 ft. The best tide to me is the in coming because the fish come in and you know you will have water. you will find them in the grass sometimes but I have had the best luck around rocks and oyster bars.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use to go alot but I havent been in awhile since I dont have a boat(im in the market though) But we went year round just once it got dark we went out to a local island(small about 3 miles long 1/2 wide) but we used floating lights from walmart and a 12' pole with a 4+ prong gig on the end and went around the edges of the island in water 3' and under and stuck them when we saw them and had lots of luck but we seemed to get more when it was colder like around october/november but we caught plenty during summer and all too so it can be done year round just check local game laws to make sure its legal where you are
Old 04-01-2005, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

I lived in North Carolinia in the 70s and did a lot of flounder gigging. As some one said after dark. The intake and discharge canal for Brunswick Nuclear power station is loaded summer flounder and was public property when I worked there. Since 911 I am not sure. The edges of the canal drop off pretty quick and the flounder come up to the edge off the drop off every night. 10 - 15 pounders were somewhat common.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Striper Phil

The intake and discharge canal for Brunswick Nuclear power station is loaded summer flounder 10 - 15 pounders were somewhat common.
That scares me, You dont have a 3rd eye or anything do you?
Old 04-04-2005, 02:40 PM

Down here in La. the "best time" is Sept-Nov at the beaches, but there are flounder to be had all summer long if the conditions are right. The best nights are when high tide is at it's highest point while it's still dark during the week of the new moon. For example - if high tide was predicted to be at 9pm - I would hold off on the trip - but if it was at 3am I would make plans to go----and flounder from dark until high tide (3am). Flounder "move up" into the shallows with the high tides, feeding on baitfish at the shoreline and then retreating back into deeper water when satiated. I usually make 3-4 one-hour trips during the rising tide at the same location waiting for them to feed. Sometimes, I have seen them so close to the shoreline that you'd swear that they were on land! When they show up it's a blast!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Moose75

I go mullet giging and when I see a flounder i stick him too. Down here in Florida we get alot of sheephead, mullet, and flounder. the best time is Nov. and Dec. down here. the fish have row and are good size. We use an airboat with lights mounted on the front so you can see the fish o yeah you go at night and make sure you have a good tide like at least 1.5 ft. The best tide to me is the in coming because the fish come in and you know you will have water. you will find them in the grass sometimes but I have had the best luck around rocks and oyster bars.

MOOSE, YOU EVER HAD SMOKED MULLET OR MULLET SPREAD FROM STIENHATCHEE?
YOU MENTIONED SHEEPHEAD, THAT'S MY FAVORITE FISH!