Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Aruba Fishing

Old 11-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Aruba Fishing

Anyone been to Aruba and went offshore? I'm leave in a few weeks and I planning on chartering a boat when I get there but any info would help.

The reason I ask is that I've chartered two boats outside the US (almost outside) and got ripped off. The first was in the Bahamas. Booked over the internet. Won't do that again. The second time I was in puerto rico and got this boat through the Ritz. The first mate had no clue. I should have pushed him aside. Next time I just might.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Aruba Fishing

I haven't heard too many good things about Aruba. Make sure you take your dramamine, too. It's always windy there.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cant help ya, buy a few copies of saltwater spotrtsman at a larger bookstore or sporting goods store and look through it, you might find some charters to call on.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Guy's I loved Aruba. What a nice place to go. Didn't do too good fishing. No one was doing well. We only boated 5 or 6 Baracuttas. My 7 year old is now hooked. The seas were fine until we went to the northside of the island. That side is rough. As rough as my worst days off the outer banks. Needless to say I popped twice. My son gets a kick out of it. I wasn't impressed with the boat. Took one reccomended outside the resort. I was told afterward to take one out from downtown. I didn't like how they rigged the ballyhoo. My suggestion would be charter the boat and skip the firstmate. Rig your own. This is 3 times of disappointment with over seas charters. Never again. I only want a boat that will get me out there.

I believe I will be in Cancun in June? Anyone been there?
Old 12-03-2004, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I fished from Playa Del Carmen (about an hour south of Cancun). We fished in September so we missed the peak of the billfish run. We trolled ballyhoo around for a few hours and caught one barracuda. We also bottom fished and caught a few stawberry grouper and some yellowtail snapper. The best tropical fishing I've ever done was in the Florida Keys and the Bahamas. There are great guides in the Keys and they aren't just guys looking to jerk tourists around. In the Bahamas, we go to the Abacos and rent a boat. Just a few miles from the beach there in May you can catch big dolphin, wahoo and marlin. The reef fishing is great with big grouper, nice mutton snapper and tons of other variety. The bonefishing on the flats is also outstanding. The area is beautiful and very casual. It would be more like the Outer Banks where Aruba would be more like Atlantic City.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Typical Buck

I have fished the keys 10/12 times. Every time was very good difrant times = dirfrant kind fish. I rent a boat and do what ever I want. If wind is bad fish bridges or go back waters.Nice days fish the reef or go out and fish dolphin,wahoo,kings the run out there is only 5 to 10 miles depends on what key.If you are a hard core as i am you sleep on the boat and night fish,it can be very good at night for bottom fishing.

If all fails set on the side of the bridge with a big light and a dip net and you can get shrimp that float by all night in the tide :} This is allso a very good way to get fish close to you. This is allso how i get most of my bait for day time fishing.

Good luck