Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Sandy Hook, NJ?

Old 06-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Sandy Hook, NJ?

Some friends and I are planning a trip to Sandy Hook, New Jersey this Sunday to do a little surf fishing. Has anyone been out there lately and if so can you make some recommendations on what to use and/or what is biting?

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sandy Hook, NJ?

PaBowhntr you have mail.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure about Sandy Hook specifically, but I would try some cut mullet for bluefish. Clam, bunker or bloodworms might also get you a striped bass off the beach. In south jersey they're starting to see some kingfish (not king mackerel) off the beach. The like a small piece of bloodworm on a small hook. If you're around rock piles or jetties, cast buck tails for weakfish and stripers. You could also try crabs or clam around the rocks for sea bass and tog.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the tips guys. I will use them come Sunday.

Jerseyhunter,

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I sent you a private message this morning. Hopefully you got it.

I will post a thread about my trip when I get back.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pa. I should be pulling up to the ranger station at 6am. I have a grey/silver chevy van w/rodholders on the rear driver side. Figure I'd come down and scare the fish away. I jump from lot to lot. Feel free to say hi. I'll be looking for Pennsy plates. If you get there after sun up and before the park opens at 7 you should be able to get a free pass, rather than pay at the gate. Unlesss you have the yearly night pass. I stopped getting it this year when they raised the price to 50 clams. [:@]
Old 06-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well Pa. I hope you did better than me. Got there at 6 went out to the last parking lot and took that hike to the hook. Nothing but crabs. Took a ride to North Beach, saw 3 pennsy plates but no one claimed them . People there saying they caught a couple of small blues. Parked in the first lot about 10:30 and walked to the booths and fished the river since the tide was changing and not ripping yet. Thats where I picked up a couple of short fluke on killies and squid. Great weather, next time I'll be in my yak. Would have liked to meet you, maybe next time?
Old 06-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

jersey,

I wish I would have read your post before heading down. We got there at 5:50 am and went right to the fishing beach. They got rid of the parking lot since the last time we were down so we parked with everyone else on the side of the road. We took my buddy's Nissan pickup...charcoal/tan in color. Maybe you saw it.

We caught two flounder (both too small) about a dozen sea robins and one crab. We may potentially head down again on Friday morning to try again but that depends on what my buddy is doing.

I hope to catch up with you down there one of these times though. It is always nice to meet folks from the forums.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I missed you by minutes. The parking lot has been gone since the last big storm. I guess you got the ticket (pass) at the ranger station. I don't think you need one to fish the fishing beach. I've only fished there twice as there are better spots. Have you ever been to the clothing optional beach. It's called Gunnison beach. It's North of the fishing beach, and South of North beach. There is usually a fleet of boats drifting right off ot as it is a good spot for fluke. You can't fish where they swim but you can fish either N. or S. of it . Parking at North Beach and working you way down is what I have done. The families and Men and Women seem to favor the northern portion, and the Boys and guys seem to hang out at the southern half.If you know what I mean. Hope to run into you there one day. At Sandy Hook that is, Not the nude beach.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

I lived down NJ shore for 16 years. If you're going to fish the surf this time of the year I'd use live bunker or eel. This is the time of year you can get some lunker stripers live lining.
I prefer the beach from Long Branch down to Spring Lake now to the end of Oct. Red fin's or rapala's set up with a feather teaser is also a good bet. It's a tad early for blues in the surf but thru out the summer you could hit some bonito. I like using lighter line 8 or 10 lb and use short shock leader.
If I fish out of small boat I like the Hook area for trolling. Then you'll get blues and stripers on a regular basis with good action more time than not. If you know somebody with a small aluminum boat 14-16 ft is best with at least a 10 horse. During the week I'd suggest the Shark River for fluke. Fish the section approx. 600 yards above the Coast Gaurd station down to it and back using a live Killie. Stick between the bank and the center of the river on the belmar side. You should be able to pick up a few nice size fluke with each drift under good conditions.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ruddy you are right about the eels. Though with the wind blowing I was expecting more clams washed up on the beach. Growing up we had a boat docked ,slip no 5 belmar marina from 1961- about 72, then trailerd one for about 10 years, then fom about 82- 2000 had one in Leonardo. Now my father took ill , sold the boat ,so the wife and I are content drifting around the bay in our Kayak.So you see I'm pretty familiar with the area. Other than Hunting ,I love fishing. Especially in the salt. But sweetwater is ok also.

Quick Reply: Sandy Hook, NJ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.