Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Alaska Fishing

Old 04-17-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Alaska Fishing

Just wontering how many of you fine folks have fished for salmon or halibut in alaska. What did you catch and where?
Old 04-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Alaska Fishing

Never have done it but would love to!!!! Had a buddy go to alsaka for his honeymoon, and he caught fish about everywher he tried, he just stopped at rivers and fished, he had photos of kings, silvers, and pinks. He also went out on a charter for halibut and did very well. I do not know exactly where he was at but I know he was all over, they rented a motorhome for two weeks up there.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

Uncle just went and caught a 75 pound halibut!
Old 05-10-2004, 12:27 PM

KevAK,

I have fished for salmon and halibut in AK.

when I lived in Anchorage, I fished for Kings on both the little Susitna as well as ship creek. I fished for silvers down in Seward as well as in numerous rivers on Kodiak.
I caught a few chum while in Kodiak only because the rivers were so chocked full of them. halibut I got out of homer. Only had one opportunity to go down there, but also tried for halibut and was skunked out of Whittier and Seward. We got skunked in Whittier primarily because we were bear hunting as a first priority. I miss it up there!!!

beej
Old 05-11-2004, 02:23 PM

I have fished for halibut in AK back in June of 2000. Myself and my parents were on vacation and chartered a boat out of ninilchik. Ninilchik as i remember was about 2/3 of the way down the kenia penisula. What a day of fishing. Our captian, Captian Marvin put us on fish all day long. we did some trooling for salmon in the morning with just one hit but the halubit fishing was just insane.

I'm not sure what I enjoyed most. Casting to artic grayling in the central part of the state or cranking up halibut from 200 feet of water.

Either way Alaska is the most amazing place I have ever visited. I would move in an instant if I could convince my wife the winters aren't that long[:-]
Old 05-15-2004, 08:52 PM

I have fished AK on the Kenai for silver, red, and King Salmon. biggest silver 17 1/2 lbs. Red 14 1/4 lbs. Kings 25, 36, 42, 46, 56 lbs.