Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
We slammed the haddock.. >

We slammed the haddock..

Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

We slammed the haddock..

Old 05-26-2024, 05:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default We slammed the haddock..

Yesterday we layed it onto the haddock! I had booked a charter named Relentless Pursuit out of Wells Maine with a very friendly guide. We wanted to go after the haddock and he put us onto them for sure. All 4 of us limited out. The only pollock we had caught was small ones. But our target fish as stated was haddock. I caught what they said was a red fish which is supposed to be a great eating fish as well. We did have to move after we started nailing the cust. I am not sure how the saltwater ones are but I love the fresh water ones so I kept 8 of them to take home to try. The weather was awesome which made great fishing While out fishing he was telling us we hit at a great time. He said that after this week they will not be chartering any more ground fishing until fall. Because sand sharks ( dogfish ) will be moving in.. So there you have it in a nutshell..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-28-2024 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-26-2024, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

Phil , salt water Cusk are very good eating . I like the flavor of Cusk better than I like Cod . But the best one of them all is Haddock for sure . Sounds like your group had a great trip !.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
Phil , salt water Cusk are very good eating . I like the flavor of Cusk better than I like Cod . But the best one of them all is Haddock for sure . Sounds like your group had a great trip !.
Thank you and we had a very good experience for our first time really doing some deep sea fishing. I know that freshwater cusk are great eating. The only time that I tried saltwater cusk is when I brought it from a store. You don’t know how fresh it was and it tasted really salty. So I am trying it again and thinking of soaking it in some freshwater. Then rinsing it off just before cooking it. I had my son go with us as we don’t get much time to fish together. He loved it as well..
Old 05-27-2024, 02:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Great report Phil and glad you hit it solid. By the sounds of it, the trip was perfect and the weather and calm seas made quite a memory. You will certainly enjoy the haddock. They are exceptional eating. I have tried the cusk and they were ok but my wife didnt care for them so I normally toss them back. Redfish are great eating too and in early spring some charters go for them as the targeted species and they catch hundreds. The dog days of summer are bad for dog fish. The charters have to keep moving to stay away from them and they are looked at as a nuisance. You should book another charter in late September and try for the pollock. Those fall pollock are big and hungry and can run into the 30 pound range. When you get on them it can be 2 at a time and they really put up a fight. Their fillets are big and real clean as compared to other ground fish. I didn't go this spring but still have some freezer stock from the 4 trips last year. I'll probably go out this fall once or twice before bow season starts.
Old 05-27-2024, 03:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Yesterday we layed it onto the haddock! I had booked a charter named Relentless Pursuit out of Wells Maine with a very friendly guide. We wanted to go after the haddock and he put us onto them for sure. All 4 of us limited out. The only pollock we had caught was small ones. But our target fish as stated was haddock. I caught what they said was a red fish which is supposed to be a great eating fish as well. We did have to move after we started nailing the cust. I am not sure how the saltwater ones are but I love the fresh water ones so I kept 8 of them to take home to try. The weather was awesome which made great fishing While out fishing he was telling we hit at a great time. He said that after this week they will not be chartering any more ground fishing until fall. Because sand sharks ( dogfish ) will be moving in.. So there you have it in a nutshell..
Do I see a fish fry today? Way to go.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you CI, we cooked up some haddock and it was awesome which we get it from the store anyway. But that fresh stuff can’t be beat. I also fried up a piece of that cusk and it was different and my wife didn’t care for it so much either. I think it would be good chopped up some and put in chowder or fish tacos. I actually think it would be a great fish in the tacos. I am also thinking of going this fall but know it can be risky scheduling with those hurricane leftovers rolling up the coast.
The best part for me was my son and son in law were both with me. I haven’t ever been able to get this done before. My son has weird days off and my son in law’s work schedule plus being in our National Guard makes it very hard. But that mission was finally accomplished. That alone made the trip even better. The catching was a great bonus for us all. I told the captain that was my main goal and he said that we will catch some fish as well..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-28-2024 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 02:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Do I see a fish fry today? Way to go.
Thank you, and Yes you surely saw a nice fish fry yesterday..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-28-2024 at 03:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2024, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Thank you, and Yes you surely saw a nice fish fry yesterday..
And is the verdict still out on Cusk fillets ? LOL I always broiled or baked them with a layer of seafood stuffing and some thin slices of lemon on top, but I'm sure frying them would be good also.

What is the flavor of cusk?

The flavor is mild and sweet, much like cod. Cooking Tips: Cusk meat is somewhat oilier than other whitefish, so it can be grilled and baked. It is also considered a good frying fish.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Phil if you want to try a fall charter and go for Pollock and need another person just let me know. I can drum up a man or two to make up a 6 pack. I'm in if you want to go. If you ever get into a pollock slam you will be hooked
Old 05-28-2024, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

SportsmanNH thank you.. We had an awesome trip! I didn’t find it quite as good as the freshwater cusk but was still okay. The way you cook it sounds good as well. I am thinking that it would be great in those fish tacos. But either way they will be getting eaten. For as far as cod goes I don’t really care for it much unless it’s salted and dried out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.