Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
Wahoo action from westside of Oahu >

Wahoo action from westside of Oahu

Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Wahoo action from westside of Oahu

Old 04-14-2016, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wahoo action from westside of Oahu

Here's a few pix from late last month. Two friends and I hit the waves for wahoo (locally called 'ono'). We used ballyhoo rigged behind trolling heads and skirts. The action was steady until a lightning storm chased us back in. We dropped 3 ono and managed to pick up 2 decent mahi.

One ono jumped 10-12' up clear of the water, missing the lure completely. We threw out a bait on a stand-up pole with 30# line....awesome action. Out of the ocean, onto my grill.
Attached Thumbnails Wahoo action from westside of Oahu-img_0075.jpg   Wahoo action from westside of Oahu-img_0078.jpg   Wahoo action from westside of Oahu-img_0091.jpg   Wahoo action from westside of Oahu-img_0071.jpg   Wahoo action from westside of Oahu-img_0083.jpg  

Old 04-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job, I would like to make a trip back to the islands one day.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wahoo and dolphin on the grill, yummy.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I was active duty I spent 3 years at Pearl Harbor on the USS Willamette AO-180. Caught a lot of wahoo and ulua there. Also spent a lot of time diving and snorkeling and speared a lot of goatfish, grunts and snappers and caught a lot of spiny and slipper lobsters. It was a good time.

After HI I spent a year on Diego Garcia and we went fishing nearly every day. We'd go out trolling and get yellowfin tuna, wahoo, dolphin, sailfish and marlin. When we fished the harbor with baits we would catch red snapper, black snapper, grouper, goatfish, bonefish, sweetlips and triggerfish and more sharks than you could count. It pretty much spoiled me for a lot of fishing.

I loved to take wahoo and cut them in one inch steaks, marinate them in zesty italian salad dressing and then toss them on the grill. Great game fish and a good eating fish to boot!
Old 04-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try sprinkling McCormick's Lemon and Herb seasoning on both sides of the fish either Wahoo or Dolphin (mahi) on the east coast, and putting them in the fridge in a plactic bag or container for about two hours and then grill them. Good eating.