Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Fish of a Lifetime!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:40 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up Fish of a Lifetime!

I was spearfishing off Jacksonville, Florida and I came across a really rare fish that we hardly ever see up in our waters. I was lucky enough to stalk and put a solid shot on this 14lb, 31.5" Hogfish. This was a couple weeks ago. I also have this video. Enjoy

https://vimeo.com/m/96568664
Attached Thumbnails Fish of a Lifetime!-1401308221122.jpg   Fish of a Lifetime!-picturejpeg-2-2.jpg   Fish of a Lifetime!-attachment.jpg  

Last edited by JGFLHunter; 06-05-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's some fine eating there as well!!!!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great looking fish, are they not common in your area due to targeting/ pressure?
Old 06-12-2014, 03:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Great looking fish, are they not common in your area due to targeting/ pressure?
I don't know why they are not more common in NE Florida. I know they are common off SC, south florida, the gulf coast of florida, keys, Bahamas.? Why? I have no idea, but I would like to know. Maybe the natural ledges and reefs are better up there in SC or maybe has something to do with currents? I don't think temp has anything to do with it.? If you know or have any input let me know?

Last edited by JGFLHunter; 06-12-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
I don't know why they are not more common in NE Florida. I know they are common off SC, south florida, the gulf coast of florida, keys, Bahamas.? Why? I have no idea, but I would like to know. Maybe the natural ledges and reefs are better up there in SC or maybe has something to do with currents? I don't think temp has anything to do with it.? If you know or have any input let me know?
My best bet would be pressure, we have them up here in NC as well and they are doing great. Difficult as a hook and line fishery for them but easy for spearos. The only difference I could see for NE Florida would be pressure, though south Florida gets far more pressure they also have much more waters and species to balance the pressure. Would explain also why Florida has always had regional management of their fisheries, each portion of Florida is different.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

I really don't think its pressure. I know many people that have been diving NE Florida waters for over 20 years and even a couple that have been diving the area for 40 years. Hogs have always been rare to see and get. Usually a select few might be speared a year and there usually not very big and just legal. Might have something to do with the way the Gulf is laid out and how the currents go. It's like they just don't replenish easily. Could lionfish have an impact on these fish? Possible. It's just interesting to me. Who knows how long that Hog I got has been around the area. I wonder how far they actually travel or what there home range is.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! .