Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Gloucester Cod

Old 04-28-2003, 05:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Gloucester Cod

Friday at the Yankee Fleet in Gloucester, very strange to say the least. I will try to keep this objective, it is difficult. A point to be made, first I have been fishing just about every party boat on the east coast for 40 years and really don’t mind not catching fish if they try and the Captain did try. Made reservations ahead of time. Thursday night got a call from the Yankee Fleet girl to tell me we would be taking the Yankee Patriot. This meant nothing to me except to know where to put my rod early for a good spot. Turns out the Patriot is a1950s style slow boat to China. We had fifty people packed like sardines and half could not fit in the cabin on the way out. It was a 2 hour ride at 8 knots or so. So you loose an hour of fishing time over the new boats sitting at the dock. They left 10 people sitting at the dock because they could not squeeze another person on to the Patriot. I guess the boat did fish easier than the big super structure boats since the Captain held the boat into the wind all day with the engines. The Captain did not seem approachable and the mate didn’t know why we took the Old boat and refused to ask the Captain. Most people had a small keeper and that was it. The office help did not know why we took the small boat either and said the owner wanted it that way. A few other things that disturbed the karma of the day, we were not allowed to have our own beer on the boat, the regulars new to bring Buds to match the boat beer. I got yelled at for having a 128 quart cooler seems somewhere in the brochure cooler size and beer restrictions are mentioned. It is not on their internet site, I checked it over carefully. I am going to try to send this to the owner in hope of getting an answer.

One Shot One Kill Striper Phil
Old 04-28-2003, 06:13 AM
Spike

Default RE: Gloucester Cod

Ive never fished with them,,,but Ive heard both good and bad reports about them too. Im not much into the bottom bouncing scene anymore,,gave it up after our last boat was sold.U sed to fish the spring and sell cod to pay for fuel for the rest of the fishing season.How far out did they take you?at 8kts,,,it doesnt sound like they took you very far. Headed to the Vineyard today,see if the schooolies are there yet.Good luck with your letter to Yankee Fleet,,,maybe they' ll give you a break on the next trip.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gloucester Cod

Ran 2 hours the middle grounds? after a few more moves we could just see P town