Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Long Range Fishing

Old 09-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Long Range Fishing

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone else has ever gone on a long range fishing trip? I went a few years back and want to go again and this time take my son on the trip. If you don't know what I'm talking about but love to fish check this out.

www.polarissupreme.com
Old 09-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Long Range Fishing

Before I left the FL Key's in the 50's the 12 Mile Reef, Dry Tortuga's and The Marquesas's was every week-end..That's when there was no ban on Green Turtle's, Jew Fish, Conch's, and no limit on Yellow Tail Grouper...And of course we had the Spiny Lobster and Stone Crab.......Them days are gone forever![:'(]
Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I have a meeting in San Diego after the first of the year. The first thing I thought of was taking a little vacation and go on a 4 or 5 day trip. Darn wife nixed that one. I do have a Tog trip now planned for the end of next month and in Feb I'll be going out for some Cod fishing. I plan on taking my son on that one.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Before I left the FL Key's in the 50's the 12 Mile Reef, Dry Tortuga's and The Marquesas's was every week-end..That's when there was no ban on Green Turtle's, Jew Fish, Conch's, and no limit on Yellow Tail Grouper...And of course we had the Spiny Lobster and Stone Crab.......Them days are gone forever![:'(]
That's 'cause you caught 'em all, cuz!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

Fieldmouse, I've done a fair bit of that type of fishing out of San Diego. Mostly 4-6 day trips, but did do a late November-December 10 day trip last year on the Royal Polaris. We fished the water off the Lusitania Bank, northwest of Cabo, for five days. We only got one huge cow, it was a 300 pounder that one of the other guys caught, but we did catch a good number of yellowfin up to 199 pounds. My personal biggest on the trip was a 150 lb. yellowfin. Catching those big fish on stand up gear is awesome. On our shorter trips, we mostly fish albacore offshore, orsometimes yellowfin and yellowtail down at Alijos Rocks. We normally fish on two boats, the Excel or the Royal Polaris. Some other boats I'd like to fish on, but haven't yet,include the Royal Star and the Independence.

As I write this, my 20 year old son is headed down there to Fisherman's Landing, to look for a job as a deck hand on a long range boat. The first time Iever took my son, he was 10 years old and we went on a 4 day albacore trip. He nearly got pulled out of the boat on that trip, 200 miles west of San Diego.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our long range fishing where i'm from is the middle grounds. There are lots of big grouper and snapper out there, and they are just waiting for a frisky pinfish to hit the bottom. I love it but haven't been able to get out there in the past 2 years with gas being so high.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Well, my kid found out that he's got some job opportunities, but it'll probably be until May before he can get a deckhand job on a boat. He's thinking his best opportunities might be on the Royal Polaris or Polaris Supreme. Either way, that's long range fishing at it's finest.

www.royalpolaris.com