Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

would like to try striper fishing

Old 03-15-2003, 03:58 PM

Default would like to try striper fishing

i live about 150-200 miles from the new jersey coast and i would like to try striper fishing (iam an avid fly fisherman) and been fishing this way since i was 10 yrs old with my grandfather. to cut to the chase i would like to give this a whirl anyone lead me in the right direction.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: would like to try striper fishing

seeing where your from your best bet would be to take 22-78 to the garden state pkwy then go so. to exit 117 b I believe.Keyport, then bear left to rt 36 and take that straight out 10 mile till you come to Sandy Hook Nat' l Park. You can park in any lot for free during the day providing its not swimming season( Memorial-Labor day) good fishing all along the ocean side . But the point known as the rip is the best but is a fair hike from the last parking lot. ask directions at ranger station 1 mile into park. If its too windy you have the option of fishing the bay side. There are about 4 tackle shops all on the right of 36 as your heading to the Park. You can also purchase a parking permit for the year which alows you to fish overnight for 25$ money order they don' t take cash. Long Beach Island is also very good but another 1hour 20 min south. hopes this helps. you can probably get a map of Sandy Hook off the net under Nat' l Parks or go to map Quest an get an Aerial or Map Tech. the Phone no for Sandy Hook Ranger Station is 1-732-872-5900 I used to go there quite a bit. There are some nice fish under the bridge. Park in the 1st lot and walk back. also just follow the birds.http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/ristori/ you can keep up with fishing reports here.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

Wulff Jerseyhunter gave you some good stuff. If you havent fished the surf before don' t forget you need a good pair of waders to get close enough to fly fish or spin cast. Make sure you have adaquate backing there are some pretty big fish there. Try a fast sinking tip for starters. Lots Of Luck keep us posted.

One Shot One Kill Striper Phil
Old 03-24-2003, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I haven' t seen your thread till now as this place is usually dead till much later in the year. I live in LIttle egg harbor NJ now and live right next to the shore. I would wait till atleast mid april as the water is still cold and the fishing is just starting to get going now. AS you can see from the date of my post fishing is just getting under way with some stripers getting going. Like I said give it a couple more weeks and it should get better as it warms up a bit. take care and mid april and you should be in them big time. Good luck.

Brian
Old 03-25-2003, 03:34 AM
Typical Buck

445 Supermag, its a small world, I for 20 years fished out of Radio road in Tuckerton. Don ( has boat in Tuckerton)and I fished wrecks mostly and Stripers in the rips by the inlet. I had my boat at Waretown and fished out of Barnegat inlet. Now I am in northern Connecticut. Stripers are killer up here. Last fall I really lost count of Stripers over 30" . I still fish my boat but have a land based rock area that I can score almost every morning before work.

Old 04-02-2003, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

striper Phil, small world. I live just off of radio rd now. it takes me all of 4-5 minutes to get to graveling point at the end of radio rd. I haven' t been able to fish yet this year do to a car accident in had this past november and am out of work for a while. [:@] But I know the stripers are on now and am going crazy now with all the great reports.[X(] So I just got to read about it for now and just dream of the great fishing. take care and nock the stripers dead up there.

Brian
Old 04-03-2003, 03:21 AM
Typical Buck

445, Yes it is a small world, Don lives on Kansas road. I have fished Groveling point several times. good to here the bass are there now . One of the first places they show up each spring. Hope you rehab soon and get back to fishing keep me informed.