Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Doormats

Old 11-25-2007, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Doormats

Went fishing at Guana lake yesterday, just north of St. Augustine.This lake is brackish water because when there are unusually high tides the water flows from the intracoastal waterway INTO the lake. Aparently over the years saltwater fish have flowed into the lake as well.

Yesterday was one of those high tide moments. I wish I had my camera.
There were about 30 people fishing the dam and there were about 50 monster flounder that came up. the smallest was a big one! the biggest was about 24" long! Several spotted seatrout were also brought up.
You had to have the right bait, and no I didn't have it.
After the dam quit running backwards, five of my friends left and I didn't know anyone else there and the fish quit biting, so I went to the intracoastal side of the dam, and started catching.
Two black drum, two red drum, and about a dozen croakers in the 16" range. I missed one thing and never got to see it. All I know is the drag on my ABU 6500 started screaming and my line broke when it was pulled over an oyster bed. I need to start using 50# power pro.