Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

Bay boat

Old 08-07-2007, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bay boat

I'm thinking of buyinga fishing boat for the Chesapeake Bay and was wondering what eveyone thinks of Mako & Trophy boats. They seem priced "relatively well" def. not up there w/ Boston Whalers and Grady Whites...
Old 08-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bay boat

I'm getting ready to bite the bullet for a saltwater boat. I'm selling my little bass boat and buying bigger. I've been looking for quiet sometime (10 years) at boats. Trophy are bayliners and have a rep for cheap gauges which fade after a while (or at least that is what I have learned a few years ago). I wouldn't buy new. I would buy used. Yachtworld.com has a good list. I've also been a subscriber to Boating World for 10 years.They handle more of the 25' and above as well as properties but great boating articles.

The advice I was given was to pick out 4 or 5 boats, complement the heck out of them when you inspect, make a list in order of calling, call them and say "today is a great day for me to buy a boat, yours was the best I looked at, offer 50% of what they are asking, leave your number and call the next one." It has to do with the two best days in boat ownership, the day you buy it and the day you own it. The more days a boat goes unsold, the further out of the memory is the purchase price. You have what they want, your cash.

Does it work? I don't know but I'm getting ready soon to try it out. I want a go fast saltwater machine to start fishing tournaments.

Good luck
Old 08-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a guide andI fish Mako's. Let me tell you they are incredibly well built and ride great. THey will beat the socks off a trophy and the Whalers and Grady are way, way overpriced. I fished the bay boat for teh last two year and had the 18 ft model out 10 miles with sailfish in it with out a single problem and the 22 ft version i had went out to 25 miles any times. I know you wont be dissapointed in anything on the boat. I have had both boats out in 6 ft waves and they handled it flawlessly although it not fun to fish in 6 footers anyway. Over 250 days a year spent in these boats and I havent had a minutes trouble out of them at all. If you wanted a offshore boat i have the 212 for sale soon. Turst me you ont be dissapointed. They hang with and beat the gradys whalers and parkers as far as prformance goes. if you have any questions email me at [email protected] and if you want to ride in one i can work it out to get you a ride in my boat.
Brent
Old 08-10-2007, 09:08 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: coolbrze0

I'm thinking of buyinga fishing boat for the Chesapeake Bay and was wondering what eveyone thinks of Mako & Trophy boats. They seem priced "relatively well" def. not up there w/ Boston Whalers and Grady Whites...
The older makos used to be an awesome boat. But the new ones since Bass Pro took them over have been crap. Every used one I have looked has spider cracks and bad finish. I couldn't believe it, makos used to be one of the best. But after talking around a few marinas here in chesapeake, I found out they are not much.

Trophies are not bad for the money IMO.

Bostons and gradys are still top notch boats. Well built.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. I'm still keeping all options open. What about Wellcraft boats? Any other good reasonably priced manufacturers out there? I'm thinking something between 21-24 ft. will be pulling it not docking it. Want something to handle the Chesapeake Bay easily and possibly even the ocean a couple times/year if possible. Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

The older makos used to be an awesome boat. But the new ones since Bass Pro took them over have been crap. Every used one I have looked has spider cracks and bad finish.
Bostons and gradys are still top notch boats. Well built.
Those Mako's are from the old Florida Plant I bet. They have turned it around since they moved to NC. They will now outride Bostons and Grady's as well. I know you have heard of Sea Craft. Well, lets just say the new Mako's have a very, very similar design as they are made side by side. I did manage to put a spider crack in mine though. Dropped the grouper anchor right in the bottom of the boat from the casting deck
Old 08-12-2007, 04:36 AM

If you can find an older Mako then get it. I know of several that were built in the 70's and all that the owners did was put new engines on them, and a rewire them. Sounds like a lot, but were talkng 30 YO boats. I am still a fan of Mako, and have considered buying one. You asked about Wellcraft as well. Wellcraft builds a great boat.
Not sure what $$ you are looking in. Look around, lots of great used boats out there. If you can find one, Sea Ray used to build a great center Console model called the Laguna. I have the Lagun 17, but the made it all the way to the 24 or 26. They haven't been mad in several years, but great boats if you can find one. WIll pay more for the Whalers and Gradys, but worth it if you can afford it.