Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

which boat

Old 07-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default which boat

I'm looking at purchasing a boat primarily for fishing on the Chesapeake Bay. I'm not sure about a lot of things, so I've been checking out boats I like and researching them. Got a couple questions though.

Boston Whalers and Grady White's seem to be pretty darn good boats right? I'm interested in something from 24-27' that I can pull behind my truck. Just curious, but how come some boats have I/Os and others have 2 or 4 stroke outboards? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Most of the GWs and BWs are single or dual outboards.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: which boat

look at the mako boats great boats and go with 2 strokes optimax if mercury better on gas than you think
Old 07-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

What are the Mako boats comparable to? I've seen some of them and they seem really nice. Actually considering the 253 walkaround cabin, but want to take a closer look.

Another thing - what about single vs. dual motors on the back? What's preferable. The mako 253 is rated for 400 Hp max, is it better to have 1 400 lets say or 2 200 Hps?

I know these aren't the types of boats I'm looking at, but how do Maxum, Sea Ray, and bayliner compare? They're all made on the same assy line correct? Thanks again!
Old 07-10-2006, 08:21 AM

best boat for the bay are power cats. all your cats are awesome. the reason is the double hull stabilizes the boat better and like my boat i have a 9 ft beam and that thing is stable on the days everyone else is rockin and rollin. i fish the cbbt out of lynhaven inlet and it can get nasty out there. heres a pic
Old 07-10-2006, 08:26 AM

heres a pic from the front and thats my buddy jason with one of his flounder from the third island
Old 07-10-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is an extremely nice boat. If you don't mind, how much did it run? You can PM if you want. I checked out some of the cats, and they're very nice, but out of my price range. This is the boat I'm considering right now, but still have A LOT of research to do before I drop this much $$$.

http://www.mako-boats.com/boat/index.cfm?boat=2008
Old 07-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTW - how long is your boat and how many people is it rated for? Also, what motor(s) do you have on the back? Thanks again!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:45 PM

it was around 45k 2 years old low hours with 2 150 hp mercs and i repowered this past winter with 2 250 hp suzukis and its 29 ft. you can find them anywhere from 25k and up depending on hp and size but you cant beat em.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will want twin outboards. That way if you get out there and have problems you can still get back home. Either the Boston Whalers or Grady Whites are real nice.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:23 PM

most of the power cats are specifically designed for twins since they have such a wide transom. i love my twin 250s

Quick Reply: which boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.