Community
Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

JewFish

Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default JewFish

This is the kind of fishing my cousin Paul and I use to do in Key West before the ban. This is my cousin Paul.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:27 PM

Default RE: JewFish

Yep, I remember those days.
That is a nice one, the biggest I caught with hook and line was 369 lBS.
Off alligator lightoff Isla Morada.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

My newphew is a guide out of key west and fishes the tortugas and he sent me pictures of him actually diving down to a large jew fish (maybe even bigger than the one you posted) and slipping up on it and takes his hands and grabs them in the gills and wrestles it in. The fish is absolutely huge. My newphew can stay under water for about 5 minutes. He told me the Jew community got pissed about everyone calling a jew fish a jewfish and he said thatthe politically correct nameis a goliath fish. I'll see if I can get him to resend me the pics and I'll get them posted.

Bobby
Old 05-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 121553

My newphew is a guide out of key west and fishes the tortugas and he sent me pictures of him actually diving down to a large jew fish (maybe even bigger than the one you posted) and slipping up on it and takes his hands and grabs them in the gills and wrestles it in. The fish is absolutely huge. My newphew can stay under water for about 5 minutes. He told me the Jew community got pissed about everyone calling a jew fish a jewfish and he said thatthe politically correct nameis a goliath fish. I'll see if I can get him to resend me the pics and I'll get them posted.

Bobby

I was born and raised in Key West! Yes you are correct, the new name is Goliath. It is a gaint grouper. We use to dive at the 12 mile reef for Hog Snapper.
The Jewfish

Old 05-20-2006, 09:14 AM

The Correct name is Black Grouper or epinephelus nigritus, they are in the warsaw grouper Family.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Alex The Hawk

The Correct name is Black Grouper or epinephelus nigritus, they are in the warsaw grouper Family.

In spanish we call it Wasa.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:37 PM

yes it might be related to the species warsaw or Guasa
Old 05-20-2006, 08:11 PM

the florida record jewfish is 680 pounds..
Old 05-21-2006, 12:13 AM
Typical Buck

nice fish when i was young we used to fish for them around st augustine using sheephead for bait biggest one i ever caught was around 200 lbs but a friend of mine caught one 490lbs off the old 206 wooden bridge that thing was big it would be nice to try them again they were fun to catch
Old 05-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The black grouper and jewfish are two different species. The warsaw grouper is also a different species. The warsaw lives in waters more north than that of the jewfish. The black grouper is a common reef fish, as is the gag grouper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.