Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Saltwater Fishing
 I'm going to Belize - what do I need to saltwater fish ? >

I'm going to Belize - what do I need to saltwater fish ?

Saltwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of saltwater fishing.

I'm going to Belize - what do I need to saltwater fish ?

Old 02-12-2006, 10:39 PM

Default I'm going to Belize - what do I need to saltwater fish ?

I'll be spending half my vacation on Glovers Reef, a little island 35 miles off the coast.

Permit, jack, and barracuda along with some fine, fine bone fishing I've ben told. On the web site it says

Wading is very easy on the flats near our shore and more challenging on the reef edge. Bring a lot of lures because they often get caught on coral or lost to big fish. Fly-fishermen on past trips have made the following recommendations: 8-weight rod best, 9-ft. length, use a marine floating line with 10-15 pound leaders. For a reel use any saltwater compatible with plenty of backing (200+ feet.) Recommended flies: Crazy Charlies, Brown Bitters, Snapping Shrimps, Foam Crabs, McCrabs, also bring several tippets. Be sure to read Randall Kaufman’s "Bonefishing With a Fly", especially chapters on retrieve, hooking and landing (we have this book in our library on the island). And finally, a must for fly-fishing: polarized sunglasses.

So ......... can anyone give me an idea of what type rod/reel to buy that would be easy to transport and do the job for a 4 day fishing trip ? What lures to take ? How to fish these areas ? I'm new to saltwater fishing, all help is greatly appreciated !
Old 02-14-2006, 01:08 PM

Default RE: I'm going to Belize - what do I need to saltwater fish ?

At the very least a rod and real[8D]
Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Naahhhhh. I wouldn't take any gear. I would just make sure that there is gonna be agood fishin shop/outfit that can supply you with with local tackle and technique even if its on the mainland. Rent all the equipment. It will also be a way to get some good advice. Perhaps you might want to even take a guide the first day. Make friends with the locals--that will be the surest way to catch fish.....It's a big ocean out there. Call ahead and check the shops out on the phone and ask about fishing expectations for the time that you'll be there. Then if you like it, you can invest in the needed equipment and plan your next trip.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 PM

hillbillyhunter1I'm going to be 35 miles off the coast on an 11 acre island .......... no shops, no running water, not much of anything except my wife and I, a very small group of people and the outfit that runs the place. I have to bring my own snorkeling gear and all my own tackle.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I figured before you get to the island, you're going to be on the mainland in some type of civilized atmosphere--So, rent all the stuff for multiple days and take it from there to the island. Spending as much time before you depart for the islandin the shop talking "shop" with the guys. Get on the phone and call them now and develop a relationship with some of the shop clerks who answer the phone there (mainland pro shop). Stroke their egos and maybe they'll remember you as the crazy american who calls all the time. There's gotta be a shop between the airport and the island. Find it and pump them for info and equipment. spread whatever budgeted money around there. I know you're a fisherman. Is there anything better than local (regional) info?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

should have at least two rods and preferably 3 (2 fly and 1 spinning). If your serious about fishing there. If your just gonna fish sparingly, then 1 will probably do
Old 02-15-2006, 03:02 AM

Well the group I'm going with said bring own tackle. Mostly because of the route we're taking, the spending days in the jungle before going to the island etc.

Assume I'll have a nice spin casting outfit ....... what kinds of lures and how to fish them ? I can wade/surf fish or take a kayak out

Here are some pics of where I'm going and from their web site

Old 02-15-2006, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you have good luck. Perhaps if the group you're going with has done this before, you should ask them. I'd say you need two rods (in case you break one) Saltwater fish will test the gear. Probably a lot of bucktail type jigs in a variety of sizes weights and shiny colors an flourescent materials. on the flats you may be able to sight fish for bone fish and Permit. ?????. if you do, don't throw the lure into the fish. lead them based upon where they look like their going and have the lure waiting for them when they get their. differ retreive techniques from None at all (leaving it still) to different size jerks at different speeds.. you might be able to vertical jig around the dropoffs of the reef. be careful wading. You should at least find a local shop down there to call to ask for info if nothing else. I figured you meant you were going with your wife or something instead of a group of fisherman. good luck. let us know what happens.