Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Need help with new 300 ultra mag >

Need help with new 300 ultra mag

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Need help with new 300 ultra mag

Old 03-27-2005, 02:52 PM

Default RE: Need help with new 300 ultra mag

I think what is being inferred here is the general tendency for ball powders to not wear the throat of a rifle out as quickly as extruded powders - all other factors being equal. This phenomenon has been documented by a number of reliable sources, including the American Rifleman staffers.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

general tendency for ball powders to not wear the throat of a rifle out as quickly as extruded powders
To start with throats do not wear out as in wear caused by friction.Rather they burn out due to a combination of pressure and temperature.As to the rate of the throat burning out just what documented tests can you show us for the 300ultramag or any cases of similar bore and case capacity?Just what type of differences are you claiming?Is it 1%,2%,5%?
Old 03-27-2005, 05:08 PM

The process I believe is referred to as "particle erosion", and is most pronounced in the area of the bore immediately ahead of the throat due to higher heat and pressure as the bullet starts to move down the bore. Ball powders generally develop pressure at a lower flame temperature than extruded powders, hence less throat erosion. In the test done a number of years ago by the American Rifleman, the increase in useful barrel life was something like 15 - 20% more in the .308 Winchester if I recall correctly. May not be as much in the .300 Ultra Mag class of cartridge.

Another similar phenomenon is the shorter barrel life one experiences with heavier bullets. I have two .243 Winchesters - both with Krieger barrels - and cut with the same reamer. One has a 12" twist and is used for varmint hunting with mostly 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. The other has an 8" twist and is used exclusively for long range target shooting with various VLD bullets in the 105 to 107 grain range. The 12" twist gun has about 3,000 rounds through it - and shows less throat erosion (through the Hawkeye bore scope) than the 8" twist gun that has less than 2,000 rounds. Reason??

Even though the heavier bullets use less powder to reach full throttle velocities, and the full throttle velocities are lower; the heavier bullet takes longer to get moving down the barrel; exposing the area just ahead of the throat to the forces of particle erosion for a longer period of time.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 12" twist gun has about 3,000 rounds through it - and shows less throat erosion (through the Hawkeye bore scope) than the 8" twist gun that has less than 2,000 rounds. Reason??

Even though the heavier bullets use less powder to reach full throttle velocities, and the full throttle velocities are lower; the heavier bullet takes longer to get moving down the barrel; exposing the area just ahead of the throat to the forces of particle erosion for a longer period of time.
To add a few more variables to the equation.First have you any way to measure the pressures developed in each barrel being that pressure is a very important factor in throat erosion? Are both bullets the same distance from the lands in the two rifles?I ask this because the closer the bullet is seated to the lands,the more force necessary to engrave the bullet into the rifling which could cause an additional pressure spike at that point and result in more throat erosion.Are both bullets of the same relative hardness for the same reason?Is the longer bearing surface of the heavier bullet(rather than the extra weight) resulting in the resistance to acceleration that is causing the extra throat erosion?Lastly from my experiences,barrels with a quicker rate of twist generally produce less velocity with the same bullet weight than barrels with a slower rate of twist possibly due to the extra work required to rotate the bullet at a faster rate in the quicker twist barrel.Is the faster rate of twist a contributing factor in this case?Since there are so many differences in this case(unknown pressure developed in each barrel,rate of twist,bearing area of bullet,bullet hardness,bullet to lands distance)i would not be so sure that the difference in throat erosion can be attributed to the heavier bullets used in one barrel.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

In the test done a number of years ago by the American Rifleman, the increase in useful barrel life was something like 15 - 20% more in the .308 Winchester if I recall correctly. May not be as much in the .300 Ultra Mag class of cartridge
Since the powders used in the 308win offer a very different burning rate than those used in the 300ultramag and the case capacities are very different(roughly twice as large in the ultramag case) how do you know that the example you offer would be at all applicable concerning the 300ultramag?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:57 PM
taw

I appreciate the debate, but no one has really given me any suggestions as to what loads I might try ( bullets, powder, how many grains you are shooting in your loads). I would still like that info . Thanks, Tim
Old 03-29-2005, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

I shoot 180 gr Nosler Accubonds with 93 gr of H1000, seat bullet to just clear your magazine, should be in the 3.59-3.61 range. One note, higher velocities in these guns (3500-3600) have been known to reduce barrel/throat life, I try to keep mine in the 3200-3400 range.
No one????? I thought this posts pretty much summed up what i was shooting.......was there something I missed??? Except maybe that I use Win Mag primers?????
Old 03-29-2005, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

180gr bullets-92gr to 95gr of reloader 25.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:31 AM
bigcountry

Ok, taw, try that load from Mossy. I gave it to him and it shoots great in my two 300RUM's and Mossys. Seems to be a very dynamic load.

I also have wonderful luck with 89-91gr of Re25 and 180 Barnes TSX.

Lastly for a long distance target load, I shoot 96gr of Retumbo and 190gr Sierra Matchking.

All of these with 215M primer. Remember COL can make a big difference with Barnes bullets. My COL runs anywhere from 3.59" - 3.635". My target load has a COL of 3.68".

Old 03-30-2005, 04:22 PM
taw

I am very sorry mossy33oak you were very helpful and thanks to everyone else who has helped out with some info. Tim

Quick Reply: Need help with new 300 ultra mag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.