Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Reloading 22 Hornets >

Reloading 22 Hornets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading 22 Hornets

Old 03-22-2005, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reloading 22 Hornets

I’ve been reading up on the 22 Hornet and they keep mentioning that the brass wall is thin and care must be taken in reloading this little guy. Does anyone have any experience in reloading this cartridge? Is it really worth reloading or just buying factory bullets? I’m considering making this my next project and would like some information if any one has any to share. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:07 AM
DM

Default RE: Reloading 22 Hornets

I've reloaded thousands of them!!

It's true the neck is long and thin, so easily wrinkled, BUT just take your time and you will save a bundle on the cost of shooting your Hornet! Deburring the inside of the nect, and starting the bullet straight will go a long ways toward avoiding wrinkled necks..

Drilling Man
Old 03-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have found a Lyman "M" die helps a lot ,with my big fingers.
You just have to bell the case a little ,them seat and (crimp is the wrong word ) push the bell of the case to the bullet.
Adds a step but I can't remember the last case I wrinkeled or crushed.

Johnch
Old 03-22-2005, 11:14 AM

I gave it up, as went to a .221. The Hornet case is thin, and it is easy to collapse the shoulder. By the time you've deburred the inside and outside of the case mouth, it is sharp enough to cut your fingers when you seat bullets. The military brass is much thincker, if you can find it, but you give up some performance.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:56 AM

Just got a 22 hornet for my contender to test. Got to go out and put 15 rnds thru her before I went down with back problem.

now I'm 4 weeks into a 6 week recovery. Got 100 pcs brass ready to load. hopefully I'll be able to get out and see how it really shoots.

Then I can come back and see how that brass holds up.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

I asked for guy's who reload .22 hornet how they measure powder. My cousin finds the powder seeps through the smallest crevice and the neck is too small to put it under the holder. How do you guy's measure & fill the casings? Sorry to but in but I didn't get much response on my post. p.s. to answer the original question, it's pretty pricey to buy as opposed to reloading since a box will run up to $30 my cousin figures it runs him about 0.8/bullet. He mollys as well. JDinAB
Old 03-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a RCBS Uniflow
I have it mounted on a stand RCBS sells or sold on the bench.
I charge each case then put the case in the press and seat the bullet.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:50 PM

I,ve loaded thousands of them and never had a problem. I got the nickel plated ones,and they are nice. I usually load them with 2400 or accurate 2200.Had real good luck with the 50gr bullet rather than the 45 or 40gr. Killed 2 deer and 3 wild pigs last year. vangunsmith
Old 03-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

I reload a lot of 32-20, which is very similar....

get an M die, take your time, and I use 2400 through a Lyman drop measure, and yeah - you have to be careful or you'll have it all over the place..
Old 03-28-2005, 06:44 AM

I have always used RCBS Uniflo never had a problem with powder missing case.I load 222,223,22 hornet they all fit the bushing in the measure.There are two sizes of bushings make sure you have the small one screwed in.Hornet ammo around here is abour $25.00 box so I can save alot by reloading.Anneal the necks that will give you a little more case life.Good luck with the hornet I have a 10" contender barrel and it is a little picky about what I feed it.

Quick Reply: Reloading 22 Hornets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.