Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Finally harvested an animal with a reload!!! >

Finally harvested an animal with a reload!!!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Finally harvested an animal with a reload!!!

Old 03-20-2005, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally harvested an animal with a reload!!!

Hey fellas, just had to tell ya'll that I finally shot an animal with one of my reloads. I just got back from a Boar hunt in Tennesee with Bigcountry. I took a 187lb black boar with my Remington 760 30-06, shot him with a 180 gr partition at ~ 30-40 yards. The bullet performed very well, entering about 1" behind the shoulder and exiting in the middle of the ribs (he was quartering to me) after he was hit he charged me and made it about 30 yards before he finally collapsed. I walked up to him and finished him off with a 44 mag, to limit his suffering. I could not believe how tough these critters were, he took that partition and kept running. I was sure it would drop him in his tracks.......I guess I underestimated their toughness.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Finally harvested an animal with a reload!!!

Welcomme to my world. Congrats Mossy, it gets addictive.
Mossy, next time shoot them in the head and save more meat, plus he will
drop on the spot.

Did BC carry your rifle ? HA! HA!

Old 03-20-2005, 09:02 AM

It would be interesting to recover that bullet to note expansion - how big was the exit hole? How much of the 30-40 yds of shooting distance was left before the bear collapsed?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice way to get a new first !!

I had the same thing happen the first time I shot a hog.
I have found that a hogs heart and lungs are tucked in under the shoulder blade .
So next time aim a little farther forward ,maybe just front of the shoulder for the angle you talk about.

Johnch
Old 03-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rick_reno

It would be interesting to recover that bullet to note expansion - how big was the exit hole? How much of the 30-40 yds of shooting distance was left before the bear collapsed?
the exit hole was about the size of a .50 piece, interesting side note without getting too gruesome, when i got up to him about 6" of nasty stuff was hanging out the hole, (my guess intestines?) because of the sharp angle.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnch

Nice way to get a new first !!

I had the same thing happen the first time I shot a hog.
I have found that a hogs heart and lungs are tucked in under the shoulder blade .
So next time aim a little farther forward ,maybe just front of the shoulder for the angle you talk about.

Johnch
thanks for the info, i guess i was lucky I got the shot placement I got concidering it was a running shot!! but next time I will try to aim a little further forward. He made it about 10 feet from me and then made a sharp turn as he collapsed, he was about 2 steps from getting another partition between the eyes. I guess after looking back , I really cant believe I stood there with nothing between us, while this thing was charging me, I guess I kinda found out that I got good nerves!!
Old 03-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

BC was a good little b#$% this weekend, he cooked and everything, he will make somebody a good little wife someday
Old 03-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on your kill!!
Old 03-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

BC was a good little b#$% this weekend, he cooked and everything, he will make somebody a good little wife someday

Ouch!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:20 AM

Nothing like seeing the fruits of your labor work for you. It is satisfying. Several years ago I partner and I had a discussion about lethality for killing whitetails in Eastern NC. He was a magnum user and really didn't see the use in anything less when you could have a magnum. I loaded some 125 grn BT's for my 30-06 that season. I loved the way my rifle shot them. It really liked 'em. I killed 7 deer that season with those little bullets. My rifle launched them at better than 3300 fps. All but one exited.

This year was my first time to hunt hogs. The place I am on in south Texas is full of them! We couldn't keep the deer fed for the hogs eating it up. After the season was over we hunted the hogs really hard. I shot a big sal with a 165 grn BT and she died after running an extra 75 yards. She was leading a group of 20+ when she crossed the path I was standing on. Lots of babies too. It wasnt till after it was over that I realized I could have been in trouble. That hog weighed over 300 lbs. The fat on her back was 2.5 inches thick.

Quick Reply: Finally harvested an animal with a reload!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.