Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Pro's and Con's?? >

Pro's and Con's??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Pro's and Con's??

Old 03-18-2005, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pro's and Con's??

To reloading nickel plated casings? I was thinking about reloading .338 loads but want to know if it is more work than brass casings?

Thanks GHJ
Old 03-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pro's and Con's??

Lots of opinions here.....I like nickel...it's easier to clean and helps to identify loads. All my hunting loads with premium bullets are loaded in Nickel cases......practice loads are in brass cases.

I've not encountered any of the negatives others claim to have with it.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:57 PM

I have run into some problems with them.And i have been loading since the 1950,s. First off i found that i couldn,t resize my 340WBY. Nickel makes the brass harder.Even with my rock chuck press they would only size about 1/3 there lenght then to much pressure on them so i stopped,Afraid of them stilcking in the die. Then with some 270 win i got they sized hard but didn,t seem bad,but when i took them out of the shell holder the llips of the rim were bent a litte. Loading others i haven,t had any problems,even thought i really like them i kinda staying away from reloading them and just using them for when i go serious hunting,and just won,t use them again. vangunsmith
Old 03-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a small batch of Winchester nickel-brass in .300WSM that can originally from factory loads. I've reloaded them twice so far and haven't had a problem. I only neck size them, and I have noticed that it does require a bit more effort than with plain brass, no doubt because the nickel is harder even if it is only a very thin electro-plated layer. Otherwise I have had very little experience with nickel-brass as I have avoided it until now. I also plan on getting a batch of regular brass for my WSM, I just haven't gotten around to getting some yet. I just like the way brass looks, and I'm worried that I'm going to have problems with split necks in the nickel-brass because of how hard the necks are.

Mike
Old 04-05-2005, 11:25 AM

I have loaded a lot of nickel plated brass for pistols and rifles and it has never cost me enough extra trouble or problems to discontinue its use. The biggest advantage to nickel I see, and one that I don't ever hear about, is I believe it increases functional reliability. Being harder and impervious to tarnish, it feeds better from a magazine and extracts easier. For practice or high volume shooting I use plain brass but for a hunting cartridge or defense load I prefer nickel. Nickel will take a lot of handling, carrying in pockets, loading and unloading, etc. and still look new with a clean, slick finish.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:36 AM
bigcountry

I can't stand nickel. Trims so rough, and bullet seating can be very tough compared to typical brass. That causes runout I notice. On some STW nichel brass I got from a friend, I have to use imperial sizing wax inside the necks and chamfer the inside neck to get nice smooth seating.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

and chamfer the inside neck to get nice smooth seating.
you dont chamfer all of your rounds? just nickel? Im not being smart (for once) Im asking??? Am I doing an unneccesary step, because I inside and outside chamfer every case I prepare.

I reload about 50% brass and 50% nickel and have noticed no difference other than when trimming, in the two.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

you dont chamfer all of your rounds? just nickel? Im not being smart (for once) Im asking??? Am I doing an unneccesary step, because I inside and outside chamfer every case I prepare.
I've found that camfering and deburring only needs to be done once following every trimming. Are you saying you camfer/debur every time you load a case?

Mike
Old 04-05-2005, 03:48 PM
bigcountry

You shouldn't have too unless youjust trimmed. It does help with bullet seating.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
You shouldn't have too unless youjust trimmed. It does help with bullet seating.
I find if I chamfer inside everytime, I dont get those "shavings" from the bullet when I press them in. I dunno I just do it, it doesnt take alot of extra effort

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.