Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 What bullet for the 7mm Ultra Mag. >

What bullet for the 7mm Ultra Mag.

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What bullet for the 7mm Ultra Mag.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:41 PM

Default What bullet for the 7mm Ultra Mag.

I am going to have someone reload some bullets for me and was wondering if anyone was reloading this caliber and what they were reloading with. The guy that is going to reload for me has a love for the Nosler Ballistic Tip. He reloads this bullet in just about everything. Someone also mentioned the 168 gn. Sierra Game King Match grades. Can someone give me some starting information so I can determine which bullets my rifle will like the best?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What bullet for the 7mm Ultra Mag.

Stone,
I like the Hornady 7mm 162 GR SST. IMHO.....
Old 03-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it were my 7mm Ultra Mag, I'd be tempted to try the 140 grain Barnes Triple Shock X-bullet for everything up to elk. My 7mm STW is on the back burner until I get out to Colorado, but that's the bullet I plan on loading for it when I finally build the rifle. If you want it purely for deer, the 120 grainer might also be just the ticket as well...very high velocity combined with high weight retention and deep penetration, what's not to like?

Mike
Old 03-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Barnes Triple Shock
Old 03-11-2005, 12:48 PM

The only thing that I am worried about with the Barnes X is what kind of exit do you have with it. It looks like it would be a good neck shooting bullet but how does it react when you get a chest shot. What kind of blood trail do you get.

Thanks

Stone
Old 03-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I've never used them on game, I have a few friends who rifle hunt deer in Missouri and one who goes out west for elk, mulies and anything else he can get a tag for any chance he gets that say they rarily fail to shoot through the animal no matter how you hit them because they stay intact and retain their weight so well. So the exit wound would be the diameter of the expanded bullet or larger.

Mike
Old 03-12-2005, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow, can believe nobodies mentioned the noslers, I mean a 7mm ultra witha 160 gr accubond!!! Wow! or even a 140 gr ballistic tip, you cant go wrong with the noslers IMO and just a suggestion, start off with H1000 for powder, between me and my friends we are using H1000 on 300 ultras, 7stw's and 7 ultras.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id go with a barnes X bullet, started loading them in my 30-06 and havent looked back yet.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:53 AM

I'd shoot the 140gr sierra gameking or 140gr partition.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:17 AM

140 TSX if you want a bullet for everything.

If you REALLY wanna trick it out, order some 120 Lazerheads (tweaked TSX') from Lazzeroni. They can be stoked up in your UM and son you will wonder if you have died and gone to heaven? You dont have to worry about what size exit hole they leave either, I've been shooting 130 Xs and now 150 Lazerheads from my Warbird for a couple of seasons and I have yet to see ANYTHING that will stop them, whether its a chestshot at 45 yds or a lenghtwise "texas heartshot" at over 400. The Barnes' simply won't stay in the animals when driven too extreme (over 3500fps) velocities. And even when I drove the 130s too nearly 4000fps, I NEVER had so much as a hint of bullet blowup. They simply stay together and you would be surprised how little meat damage you get.

If you deadcenter a shoulder ball then you will get alot of bone fragment, but I have yet to have the first piece of bruised meat in over 50 animals (whitetails, a muley and a antelope). I have buddies that shoot Warbirds and a couple of Firebirds also. Like rockheads they are hellbent on the partitions vs the Lazerheads/TSX'. Some of the wounds they get on deer are gruesome! [:'(] theres just no need for that kind of damage when its un-necessary!

GOOD luck and let us know what happens,
RA

ps
Don't get me wrong, the Accubonds are a GREAT bullet. I just don't think they are the bullet for supermags. Even they will come apart with heavy shots at close range with extreme velocity.

Quick Reply: What bullet for the 7mm Ultra Mag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.