Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 More than one sweet spot?? >

More than one sweet spot??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

More than one sweet spot??

Old 02-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: More than one sweet spot??

Possibly.

It's your rifles and your body attached to them so do as you see fit.
Some people have actually tried such loads instead of going on theories and old wives tales. Slow burning rifle powder partially filling a case can cause detonation, but noone has ever duplicated the situation reliably. Using faster burning powders in rifle cases doesn't lead to the same theoretical problem, so long as the case isn't overloaded or double charged.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm just puting up information guys. Don't get all ruffled up.

Not everyone that visits these forums is as knowledgable about reloading as others here. And I certainly don't claim to be a reloading guru. I've only been doing it a very short time off and on.

Joe Blow could come here and see that people are using 18 grains of powder in a 270 for reduced loads and think ..... if he can do it so can I ...... and then BOOM.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry if I sounded a bit gruff, I was in a hurry when I wrote the last post, often times the wrong emotions are relayed when the words aren't carefully picked. My apologies.

I have to put a disclaimer in that I didn't get in my last post. The powder was 2400. The load would be used with a cast bullet. I wouldn't recommend using it with a jacketed bullet. I've only started experimenting with cast loads about a year ago, but I have some acquaintances that are old timers that have been making their own bullets for decades who are my mentors. Loads in rifle cases using red dot, unique, or 2400 and a few others aren't going to be found in too many reloading books, though there are a few. Noneof these powders will detonate, but there is a serious danger to the inattentive reloader who double charges. An old man I shoot with did do this and blew up his beautiful new Ruger M77. Don't try something new or outside the bounds of the reloading manuals unless you have read up on what you are about to do or are knowledgeable about what you are doing.

Be safe.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:07 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

You better listen to vangunsmith.

18 - 30 grains of powder in a case the size of a .270. You could blow something up real quick.

When a cartridge is under loaded or reduced it can result in a blown up firearm because the powder lays on the side wall of the cartridge and creates a large void and instead of the primer igniting the powder fully from the rear as it would with a full charge and where it is suppose to it sends sparks to the front of the case as well and also ingnites the front of the powder charge. When the powder burns from the front and the back at the same time it creates a huge surge in pressure when they meet.

Think of two waves in the ocean moving toward each other. When the two meet they create a single wave that is double the size of the two single waves. Much the same thing happens in underloaded cartridges. When the two pressure waves meet inside a cartridge you get a huge surge in pressure and bad things can happen.
The phenomenom has been duplicated in the laboritory and was reported in Handloader magazine. I'll look it up if you require the cite. What happens, once in a while, when using reduced loads of really slow burners is the primer impulse bumps the bullet into the leade where the rifling stops it. Then the burnig powder builds up pressure which can't go out the barrel due to the obstruction, and blows the brass case, this gas, inside the action, tears the rifle apart. Some rifles handle escaping gas better than others. So it is just a simple case of bore obstruction, like not removing the spider webbing from the barrel before pulling the trigger.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:08 AM

Folks, I understand the cautions, and have read the report many times. Detonation CAN occur, and it HAS ben duplicated in the labs. many of you seem to be mis-interpering the results of the study.
Again;
What happens, once in a while, when using reduced loads of really slow burners is the primer impulse bumps the bullet into the leade where the rifling stops it.
DON"T TRY TO USE SLOW POWDERS FOR REDUCED LOADS!

Reduced loads are safe and useful with the proper powder.

Not everyone that visits these forums is as knowledgable about reloading as others here. And I certainly don't claim to be a reloading guru. I've only been doing it a very short time off and on.

Joe Blow could come here and see that people are using 18 grains of powder in a 270 for reduced loads and think ..... if he can do it so can I ...... and then BOOM.
You are right. That is why I cringe every time someone comes to the net, with NO knowledge of reloading, and says: "Hey, Bubba here. I've got my granpa's .30/06 and I'm gonna be getting a RBCLEE press. What powder do I use for making really hot loads? I've heard that reloading books have sissy loads 'cause of lawyers."

Someone always gives him a load, very often a top end load. Recipe for disaster, plain and simple. Folks, the net is a great resource, but only a resource. Buy a friggin reloading manual...actually, buy two of them! By manual, I mean Hornady's, or Lyman's od RCBS or Lee. A loadbook from a powder manufacturer isn't a loading manual, and it usually assumes a certain degree of safe loading practices and knowledge. If you don't have that knowledge, you can get into trouble damned quick. Read the bloody thing. THEN go to your 'putur and start asking questions.

With some powders (slow burners) and some cartridges (usually big volume cases), reduced charges are as dangerous, or more so, than over charges!

Getting back to Joe Blow, I ain't his poppa. Joe's gotta get some knowledge. If he doesn't spend a little time actually researching and studying, he's an idiot anyway, and I'm not going to assume any responsibility for his actions.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Hello Kelbro,

Listen to bigbulls,it will happen!....Be careful guy!!

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 12:46 PM
bigcountry

reducing loads,to much they can create VERY daangerous pressures
You sure? The pressures can drop off very very sharply according to Hodgdon and not push a bullet out in rare cases and then cause the momentum is going down, you can get a spike? The smokeless is supposed to be under some pressure.

Kelbro, Hodgdon has out some nice reduced loads. Stick with thier data I suggest.