Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 bullet puller question >

bullet puller question

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

bullet puller question

Old 02-16-2005, 05:26 AM

Default bullet puller question

Is it common for your bullets to flatten the tips when they are pulled with a inertia bullet puller? If not, what am I doing wrong?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bullet puller question

Is there a sponge or pad of some sort in there? Mine has a little pad that looks like a foam earplug. No damage.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kelbro

Is there a sponge or pad of some sort in there? Mine has a little pad that looks like a foam earplug. No damage.
That's my best guess also...
Old 02-16-2005, 10:44 AM

A foam earplug is a GREAT idea!
Old 02-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine came with a piece of rubber in the bottom, but it still messed up the lead tip bullets, an earplug would be a great idea, but I now use poly tip bullets exclusively so I dont have that problem. Just a caution, I posted on here about 6 months ago, I pulled a bullet that I had a primer in, but no powder, and the primer went off!! I have pulled probably 100 rnds in my life and never had that happen before. I am not trying to scare you just informing you about what happened to me, I dont know what would have happened if there was powder in it! Just a word of caution, trying to help.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I put a thick piece of cloth in it and it still mushroomed a little. Pretty scary about that primer going off. Was it seated good?
Old 02-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I added cotton to mine it works well for me. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Able

Thanks for the info. I put a thick piece of cloth in it and it still mushroomed a little. Pretty scary about that primer going off. Was it seated good?
For me to say "I know for a fact the primer was seated good" would be just guessing, I THINK It was, but it would take some CSI type stuff to figure it out considering the primer was shot up into my floor joists, and bounced who knows where!! I do know that from now on when I pull live rounds, I wear safety glasses, and have a small piece of plywood between my arm and my head, (I guess in my mind, it may protect me some??) maybe it would only leave me drinking out of a straw the rest of my life as opposed to being dead??? I dunno. [X(]
Old 02-17-2005, 06:35 PM
DM

I usually hit it pretty hard the first one or two raps, and then see if the bullet has moved, and how much. Once the bullet starts moveing, i use light taps untill it's out, with no or nearly no damage at all.

After a while you will get a feel for it!!

Drilling Man
Old 02-20-2005, 06:46 PM

DM, good post. I also learned not to simply whale away until the bullet came flying out, deforming the tip. One or two whacks, take a look, and rap lighter until the bullet just about falls out. After a while you learn how to do it without components flying around.

Brian

Quick Reply: bullet puller question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.