Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 7mm rem mag help >

7mm rem mag help

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

7mm rem mag help

Old 01-30-2005, 01:54 PM

Default 7mm rem mag help

Just bought a tikka 7mm rem mag. Never monkied with this caliber. Help with hunting loads for WTD. Been shooting the 139/140 gr bullets in my 7x57. The books shows some really fast loads....true???
Old 01-31-2005, 01:20 PM

Default RE: 7mm rem mag help

I also like the 140 grain for 7mm Rem Mag.

I've loaded the 140 Sierra BT and flat back, as well as the 160 Gr Sierra in two different guns. I prefer BT, unless the distance to the lands grows too large, then I will switch to a flat back bullet. IMO, 20 thousandths off the lands is the preferred starting point. I rarely get closer, but will move further away during testing.

I've used H4831 for the 140's and H1000 for the 160. I would try the H1000 first, the cartridge is somewhat overbore, so the slowest burning powders have generated the smallest standard deviation. The H4831 loads were developed before H1000 was available.

Use a LR Magnum primer.

I don't really know the velocities are that spectacular. As I said, the cartridge is somewhat overbore, so the powder charges are quite a bit more than say a 7-08 or 7x57 with relatively little added velocity. Still is a favorite of mine though. It was my first reloaded cartidge, and the only one I have duplicated with 2 different guns. I would have to look at my data when I get home to refresh what my velocity is. If I recall, it is not significantly different than 3100 fps with the 140 BT. Note, I usually don't load to highest velocity, as much as I do the best grouping, lowest std dev.

I just can't bring myself to get rid of either gun, it's even harder to decide which when they get to go hunting and when they have to stay home!

I may get slammed for my bullet choice, I am about the only one in the world who prefers non-premium bullets. Works for me. Some day I may see if someone can convince me to change.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

140 Nosler B/T's with Win Lrg Mag primers, and RL 22 64.5 grains. I think its the middle of the pack in velocity, somewhere near 3000 fps. I also have found the B/t's like to be backed off the lands, I seat mine to thirty thousanth off, have tried closer but my M77 7mm mag just doesnt like it. I would highly recommend trying the Reloader 22 powder, I have seen alot of threads on here that guys profess to using the Rl22. Just an option.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:00 PM

tHERE ARE MANY LOADS OUT THERE FOR THE 7MM MAG,AND MANY BULLET WEIGHTS. THAT DOESN,T MEAN THAT YOUR RIFLE WILL SHOOT THAT BULLET,THE WAY YOU WOULD LIKE. TRY SOME LJOADS IN THE BULLET WEIGHT YOU WANT TO SHOOT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. ALL BARREL ARE DIFFERENT(JUST LIKE WOMEN) SOME WILL SHOOT ONE BULLET AND OTHERS WON,T. YOU,LL JUST HAVE TO TRY OUT SOME LOADS UNTIL YOU FIND ONE YOU LIKE. VANGUNSMITH
Old 02-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Spike

I would agree with 140gr bullets. The only 160 bullets I could get to shot out of my 7mag were Accubonds. After several powders and bullet types of 160 grains, I settled on 140's. Hornady and Nosler Partitions were my most accurate. They both worked wonderful on deer. Never had a deer take a step. Good Luck, Mark