Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Nicest Sounding Cartridge >

Nicest Sounding Cartridge

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Nicest Sounding Cartridge

Old 01-03-2005, 01:16 PM

Default RE: Nicest Sounding Cartridge

The .243 Winchester is rated as one of the best little deer killers out there. I've seen a good number of deer, both mulies and whitetails killed with this little gun. And in a heavy barrel varmint gun it is superb varmint cartridge and will extend the range well beyond that of any of the 22 caliber varmint rounds and it superior for coyote sized varmints at long range. It's light on recoil too. Granted it's not a moose gun but it is a very good cartridge and stands lot more alone in its class than the .270, which has a lot of competition in that class. I think the .243 is one of Winchesters all time best round for what it was designed for. It was originally called a "lady's" round but there are a lot more men shooting it than ladies.

Daryl
Old 01-03-2005, 03:11 PM
bigcountry

what a dud of a little gun, who would want one??
Me, me give me one. If you need anything bigger for deer, you shouldn't be hunting. But I choose a 308 by choice.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know why but my 308 mountian rifle sounds like a cannon going off ive heard other 308's that just didnt sound nearly as loud as mine. at the range its not uncommon for someone to ask what it is and when I tell them its a 308 they look at me like im full of it. Asfar as my favorite sounding report it would have to be my mini-14 with the M-14 style bird cage flash supressor on it for the little .223 I was amazed the first time i shot it, sounded like a larger caliber. I cant believe how much BOOM!!! that little cartridge has. I'm also real fond of the sound of a goose magnum in the morning or a muzzle loader on opening day deer season. The quietest ive heard would have to be a CCI CB short from a 24 inch barrel Ive heard bull frogs fart louder and not to mention my 177 cal benjamin sheridan is deffinately louder.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:21 PM

I've gotta admit I thought at first that "wakin the countryside" with my braked Lazzeroni Warbird was fun. But I have enough ear damage as it is after hunting since I was a kid. The gun is REALLY loud even with my GameEars in each ear. When I am on the range I shoot it with both foam plugs AND muffs on. The "rolling thunder" across the countryside runs for several seconds afterwards as well.

I just got a 300 Weatherby Mark V Deluxe handed down too me earlier this week and I know that from past experience it too is quite an "attention getter" lol. Another setup that is MUCH louder than alot of guys think about is the plethora of 3.5" shotguns when fired with ported duck/turkey tubes. They are a VERY loud BOOM versus the crack of a speeding bullet. Especially when fired from the depths of a pit or blind. I likewise have come to hate the ported tubes of companions. But thats where GameEars come in!

BTW I agree that the 50BMG is seriously dangerous on the "loud scale". Even our largest deer guns are pop guns compared too the aircraft gun that the 50 actually is.

BUT... I have yet to have one fallover because of noise!
RA
Old 01-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well since you didn't say these had to be shoulder fired guns I would have to say the loudest would have to be either a 5 inch gun off af a Navy destroyer or the Phalanx gun firing 20mm rounds at 3000 rounds per minute.

The quietest would be the .22 short.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Fork Horn

BUT... I have yet to have one fallover because of noise!
I wish i could say that i too have never seen one fall from the noise but as it is i have seen two deer on the ground with no holes in the body. the first my shot at with a 25/06 at about 10 - 15 feet. half an hour later when i arrive on the wheeler the deer is thrasing around. so i walk up to it to get a closer look. when i realized it wasnt going to die any time soon i wiped out my knife and did him in.

The second was one i shot at 25 yards with my 7mag. it was through some nasty brush but i had a good hole and fired. as i approached the deer lifted his so i put another in him.when igot to looking closer at him i noticed the only mark on him was a slit going cross his front leg just above the knee. the only thing i can figure was i hit the brush. the bullet fagmented and cut his leg but the concusion knocked his socks off.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:33 AM

most pleasant has to be the 375H&H... rolling thunder...
Old 01-08-2005, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

I like the sound of a Muzzleloader best. It sounds like thunder.Maybe thats why they were called thunder sticks.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:31 PM

If we have to stick to shoulder fired rifles then I would have to say it is the sharp, anti tank gun crack of the .366DGW found on page 201 of the tenth edition of Cartridges of the World. But then again I am predjudiced!
Old 01-17-2005, 05:59 AM

By far the most awsome sound would either be the Phalanx or Warthog in action, would not want to be on receiving end. But back to the question try a 300 win mag with break while sitting in one of those plastis box blinds your ears will ring for a week.

Quick Reply: Nicest Sounding Cartridge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.