Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 do i have to resize brand new brass >

do i have to resize brand new brass

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

do i have to resize brand new brass

Old 12-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: do i have to resize brand new brass

neck size the case and set the shoulder back .001(thousands) should do it. I use a stoney point case gauge when doing this.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:09 AM
jp4
Spike

New brass HAS to be chamfered, the same as once fired brass. Otherwise the bullet will be damaged, AND the neck can be knocked crooked by excessive force used to get by the square mouth of the case. Chamfering out of round case necks, causes excess chamfering in one spot and none on another, resulting in the same bullet damage/ excessive force required.

I simply run each case fully into the FL sizer. Seldom do I need any lube, the cases are at SAMMI minimum so they don't really contact the die anyway. This rounds out the mouth of the case so you get a uniform chamfer to ease the bullet into the case.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Up until I recently I've always procured rifle brass by firing factory Winchester ammo. This, of course, fireforms the brass to the chamber in question, and from there I just neck size it.

But recently I did buy a lot of new unprimed Remington 7mm STW brass, and found that they did need to be sized for no other reason than the necks were anything but round (apparently new brass isn't handled with any type of care as some of the necks were really dinged up). I ran them through a FL sizer and found that the die barily touched the case other than the neck, so in this case FL sizing wasn't necessary. The primary purpose was to get the necks back into round so I could trim, camfer and deburr them.

Mike
Old 12-31-2004, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

A while back I experenced the same scenario as Driftrider with R-P brass, so I spoke to a R-P Tech., and he told me new Remington brass does not have to be sized they have been sized at the factory, but the case mouth may have to be trued. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:24 AM
bigcountry

But recently I did buy a lot of new unprimed Remington 7mm STW brass, and found that they did need to be sized for no other reason than the necks were anything but round (apparently new brass isn't handled with any type of care as some of the necks were really dinged up). I ran them through a FL sizer and found that the die barily touched the case other than the neck, so in this case FL sizing wasn't necessary. The primary purpose was to get the necks back into round so I could trim, camfer and deburr them.
I am a full believer you get cheap seconds or flaws when you guy remington brass. Reason I say, I looked over the last 200 pieces from remington and they were so dinged and the the neck runout was so bad. But I then measured the neck runout of some 50 pieces of 270win and 30-06 factory Corelokts and the runout wasn't near as bad, and I didn't see any dings. Also looked at neck thickness of fired factorys and new brass. Big difference. And this acid wash they use on the necks is getting worse and worse.

Old 01-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

I resize new brass if for no other reason, then to make sure you have good, uniform tension between the bullet and the case neck...
Old 01-02-2005, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry:

I also asked the R-P Tech. why the brass is sometimes is dented and the mouths are out of round. He told me because after the brass is anneald from the shoulder up and sized it is placed in large tumblers and the brass dent each other. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me it'd make more sense to anneal, then tumble and size last.

Mike
Old 01-03-2005, 09:06 AM

Seconds on brass isn't right. I've bought some bad and good RP brass. Its been luck of the draw. Just like factory ammo. But its not seconds at all.

You've been told why the necks are dinged. And there is no acid wash. Thats annealing marks. If you tumbling long enough they'll go away but you'd have to pay RP extra to do that. Why worry? Annealing is good for the brass.

So much mis/dis- information floating around.

Jeff
Old 01-03-2005, 09:07 AM

test

Quick Reply: do i have to resize brand new brass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.