Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 A Good Reloadable Bullet for Varments ? >

A Good Reloadable Bullet for Varments ?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

A Good Reloadable Bullet for Varments ?

Old 12-10-2004, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Default A Good Reloadable Bullet for Varments ?

What would be a good reloadable bullet for varments like coyotes - beavers - crows - Etc ?

I was thinking of the new Ruger 204 but not sure.

What do Yall think ?

Thank You.

jrbsr
Old 12-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A Good Reloadable Bullet for Varments ?

If it were me I wouldn't buy the .204 Ruger if I planned to handload it. Bullet selection is poor as yet, and from what I understand, there is no way for a handloader to safely dublicate the performance of the .204 factory loads with available powders. The powder they use for this cartridge is a proprietary blend that is not sold as a component for handloaders.

If it were me I'd go with a .22-250. It's got more power than the 204, just as much or more range capability, velocities are very good and the cartridge is easy to handload for and the handloader can realize full performance from the cartridge. Secondly, the availability of .224cal bullets is outstanding, and they are very inexpensive. The 22-250 is also well known for its accuracy, and is a cartridge that is here to stay.

Mike
Old 12-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own 3-varmint rifles. If I had to pick one varmint rifle to keep it would be the 22-250.
My petload:
40-grain H-414,
Sierra 52-grain HPBT &
WLR Primers
Old 12-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Typical Buck

22-250 Fine little varmit killer.

My Pet
52 Gr Speer HP
34 Gr 4064
Federal Gold Medal Match GM210M
Can pick fleas off gophers at 100
Old 12-20-2004, 07:58 PM

It depends on what kind of varminting you want to do. If your rifle will be dedicated to going after coyotes, beavers, and crows as you mentioned, then go with the 22-250. You will likely not shoot more than 20 rounds on a good day.

If you plan on doing any high volume shooting like prarie dogs or western ground squirrels, consider the .223. Brass is cheap, barrels heat slower, and you will be hard pressed to see meaningful performance differences under 250 yards. You can also stuff a whole lot more of them in your pockets when leaving the truck behind.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

If shots will stay uder 300 yards then my choice would be the 223. Mainly because they are cheap to shoot and effective to 250-275 yards. I also love the 22-250 but for only one I would stay with the 223.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:19 AM
Fork Horn

I am partial to my .220 swift and some 52 or 53 HPs.

I also like my .300 win mag and 130 HPs. Much more accurate than I thought.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Jrb:

I'd suggest you go with the .223. I use a .204 for the shooting you described, and if I didn't love reloading, I would have traded it off (I also load .223 for a mini-14) for a .223 bolt. With a .223, brass/bullets costs next to nothing and factory loads are available everywhere.

My .204 reloads come in at $.24 each, and you can buy new winchester .223 loads for less than that.

Ballistically, at extreme ranges the .204 slightly surpasses the 22-250, but no critter will ever know the difference. Quite a few folks (braver than me) are getting way over 4,300 fps with reloads, but I don't want to be replacing barrels every few months...

If Winchester and others pick up the .204, it would be a great choice, but until then, I think you should stick with .223

Good luck.
CE
Old 12-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

a 223 is tough 2 beat. Cheap to shoot accurate and deadly!
Old 12-30-2004, 10:04 PM

JR... as many have pointed out the 223 is cheap and easily obtainable... BUT you asked about reloading so I'm gonna have to go with the 22-250... been associated with this round for near 30 years now and have no idea how many rounds I've reloaded for it... this has to be the most user friendly round out there when it comes to loading... I've been hard pressed to find a load that won't give atleast ¾" at 100 yards... and most going much smaller... years back when I was in Europe I had a fellow tell me the 22-250 was a pain to load for, hard to get good consistant accuracy... well rather than argue with him I took him to the loading room and proceeded to size and prime 5 cases... got out a can of Norma 203, dipped the cases full and shook the powder out of the neck... WARNING... DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME... I KNEW THIS POWDER WOULD NOT OVERLOAD THIS CASE... seated the bullets, and handed them to this gent... we then proceeded to the range where he handed me the ammo... I stuck all 5 in a group under ½" at 110 yards... needless to say we had another convert that day... as I said user friendly... I've tried both of the loads mentioned above but with different primers and they both shot good... 223 is cheap but the 22-250 if you're going to reload is much more versatile... load it down for plinking, or turn it up a notch and make it sizzle...

Quick Reply: A Good Reloadable Bullet for Varments ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.