Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 30 WSSM wildcat??? >

30 WSSM wildcat???

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

30 WSSM wildcat???

Old 11-26-2004, 10:15 PM

Default 30 WSSM wildcat???

I know this is probably an old subject, seems like I might have even brought it up myself before. But based on what the WSSM case drives the 223, 243 and 25 cal bullets too, would not it drive a 30 cal to appx 308Win velocities? We just got in a 25WSSM Stalker the other day and the more I keep playin with the rifle the more I get to thinkin, "what if"?

A "tiny" deer rifle that handles like lightnin, is as light as a paperweight and still drives my beloved 30cal bullets to acceptable levels just seems like "da bomb" for totin in the timber and anytime shots are gonna be under 300yds. Yeah it would cost more, would be a complete waste of money but what the heck, if we dont spend it our wives will...

What say da court?
RA

ps
I already picked out a 3x9x36 Swarovski AV for the lil rifle. It sure feels good on that .25 WSSM.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30 WSSM wildcat???

Not interesting in the least.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or you could just save yourself the trouble of forming brass, having custom reamers made, rebarrelling the rifle for 30cal, and working up safe handloads, and just buy a .308, a box of ammo and go hunting.

So you gain 1/2" or so of action length and 3-5 ounces of weight. Big deal. Take it from someone who's humped both the M249 SAW (15lbs empty/22lbs loaded) and an M240G (24lbs unloaded) machineguns for MILES, if you are put off by having to hump 4 more ounces of rifle around, maybe you should consider a less strenuous hobby. Cross-stitch maybe?!

Mike
Old 11-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

That could be an interesting project. I look for the WSSM line to be expanded to include some other calibers. Maybe you can beat the to the punch. The 308 RASSM? Keep us posted if you try it.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK what would it do that a Kimber Montana in 308 would not do?
Old 12-02-2004, 08:54 PM

oek it is a "fartsNgiggles" proposition. I know it would be throwing good money down a bad hole, but like I tell my customers "If you dont spend it your wife will"! I like having something that is rare and not common in deercamp.

BTW I agree, the 308 Montana is a SWEEEEEEET rifle. I put about 4 boxes through one this spring in a Kimber factory rifle. We were shooting several of them (WSMs, 22/250, 308) all the way out too 1k yds. The Montana is a true sweetheart no doubt. We just got in two Montana's today in .270 WSM and the more I play with them the more I like 'em.

My only other considerations "on the front burner" right now are either a Montana 300WSM, a Short Track Browning or the new coming BLR "Pistol Grip" in 270 WSM and also new the Remington 700 SPS with detachable box mag in 300WSM.

Dont life suck? A man's toylist is long and usually his funds are skinny,
RA
Old 12-03-2004, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

RA how does it feed WSM's in particular?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:17 PM

The WSMs feed fine. I can feel where the WSSMs take a lil more "umph" to get that neck up into line with the bore, but nothing that would bother me in a hunting rifle. The WSMs in my oppinion are smoother than the double radiused Wby Mag shoulders.

WHACK EM,
RA
Old 12-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

How does the 25WSSM feed in the AR-15? I'd assume the magazine is single stack because of how fat those cases are. Did they machine the ejection port to make it bigger, or did they have to use a larger upper? How did they make the bolt face big enough to work with the large rim of the WSSM?

Mike
Old 12-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually I was just curious about how it was done because the WSSM's are so fat I wasn't sure how they could build it on a standard size AR upper. The things that people have been able to do with the AR design are pretty amazing. Eugene Stoner probably had no idea that his basic design would be capable of what many AR clones are doing today. 1/2MOA accuracy from a semi-auto? 25 years ago this was unheard of, but now it's almost routine with many of the top end AR makers. I've been looking long and hard at getting either a Bushmaster Varminter or a Rock River Arms M4 for awhile. I've also thought about getting a plaing old GI spec M16A2 clone. Now that the retarded AWB has gone the way of the dodo I can get one that is virtually identical to the A2 I used in the Corps (sans burst cam). If only I were rich!!

Mike

Quick Reply: 30 WSSM wildcat???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.