Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

ballistic tips

Old 11-18-2004, 05:30 PM

Default ballistic tips

any one use ballistic tips for deer. i might be using the 150 grain ones in 7mm rem mag. the only thing that keeps me from doing that is that ive heard alot about them exploading on impact. anyone have any experience. ive heard they were really bad if they hit bone. thankx for the help
Old 11-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default RE: ballistic tips

I am using the 150gn ballistic tips in my 7mm Mag, and I love them. I have shot several deer, and a bear this year with the same setup. I havent seen them "blow-up" on impact, but it definitely makes mush of the lungs/heart. I dont think you would be disappointed with them if you tried them. Just my .02 cents.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 130 grain BTs in my 270 Win and 140s in my 7mm-08 Rem. No "blow ups" that I have witnessed. All pass through shots with good exit holes and really dead as a hammer deer.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:12 PM

another thing i forgot to mention was how do these bullets hold together. i have heard many times that the jacket seperates. thanks for your help guys
Old 11-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

All pass through shots with good exit holes and really dead as a hammer deer.
Didn't find the bullet so I can't attest to how it held together. The fact they were all pass through shots tells me it did very well though.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Spike

I use BT's in my .270 and they have done great, lot's of expansion and tissue damage. Only recovered one in the offside skin after it broke both shoulders, not alot of it left. I don't think I would use it on elk or large bears, but it works great on whitetail.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have taken about 20 deer,pronghorns and bighorns with the 140gr ballistic tips out of my 7mmstw's with great results.Not a single bullet failure to date.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I have taken about 20 deer,pronghorns and bighorns with the 140gr ballistic tips out of my 7mmstw's with great results.Not a single bullet failure to date.
Ditto the 140 gr.Bt out of my 7mm08.No problems,dramatic results!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

I think alot of the blow up problem is from people selecting a light weight BT for their rirle. Using a 150 out of the 7MM should be fine. My Step-Dad uses the Winchester Ballistic Silver-Tips in 150 and has taken several deer and large feral hogs with no problem. If you encounter a shot within 50 yards just put it behind the shoulder and not in it. At longer distance when the bullet has slowed some the bullet will retain more weight and penetrate better. On close up shots high velocity can destroy any non bonded core bullet.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

BT's work great. The varmit bullets blow up. The hunting BT's stay together much better and cause severe damage. They really kill a deer dead and quick!

Quick Reply: ballistic tips

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.