Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Trimming .25 ACP brass (.25 auto) >

Trimming .25 ACP brass (.25 auto)

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Trimming .25 ACP brass (.25 auto)

Old 09-16-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Trimming .25 ACP brass (.25 auto)

I'm having trouble locating any equipment that can accurately trim .25 ACP brass. My RCBS Trim Pro says in the manual that you cannot trim .25 ACP brass on it. Any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2004, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trimming .25 ACP brass (.25 auto)

Well...................I see RCBS offers a 25cal pilot for the Trim Pro - don't see why it wouldn't work. But then again, I don't own any RCBS equipment, so I can't say for sure. My Lyman Universal trimmer has a pilot for .25ACP I know.

But I have to ask..................... why do you want or need to trim them?? I'm assuming you're using a them in a semi-auto pistol..................if so, the gun would headspace on the case mouth and if you trim them too much, you may get failures to fire and at least failure to eject properly.

I've never HAD to trim any pistol case (revolver or semi-auto) except when the mouth got chewed up from use..............or more accurately, OVERuse! Typically, pistol cases are a little on the short side anyway - and once you start trimming them, you don't have much left to work with.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:28 PM

Yuck. 9mm is as small as I'll load for and when the cases get to the point of needing a trim, there trash.

Fortunantly there are a lot of shooters at my range who don't load so 9mm brass is free for the sweeping

Looking across the room at my RCBS power pro it doesn't look like the shaft will close in enough to trim a 25ACP case.

Might have to check that out.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try Lee to see if they make one of their trimming gizmos in that caliber.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would imagine a 25 acp casing doesnt stretch a whole lot maybe by a few thousandths before you hit the max length, all of my info shows nothing for case trimming the 25 acp if you know what the trim length is supposed to be I would try using a deburring tool might work to trim just a couple thousandths off, on the other hand might be more of a hassle then its worth all together. what kind of brass are you using? I would consider using a harder brass like winchester should beable to get a few more loadings before the case needs trimmed. with my 357 magnum loads if i use federal brass I can load the case twice before it needs trimmed but with winchester brass I can get 3 and sometimes 4 loadings before it needs trimmed. good luck
Old 09-17-2004, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try Lee to see if they make one of their trimming gizmos in that caliber.
Asfar as I know the smallest they make is in 380 acp.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:48 PM

The reason for the need to trim the .25 ACP brass is that I'm using a .25 ACP breech plug conversion on a T/C Omega. You use primed .25 ACP brass instead of a 209 shotgun primer for ignition. The lockup on the action is very hard, harder than is necessary. If I could trim 2-3 thousandths off the brass, then the lockup on the action would take much less pressure to close.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

OK MoturkeyTamer..............

NOW I know where you're coming from. In this case, I would sugesst just hitting the mouth with a grinding wheel from say a Dremel tool to get it where you want it. This shouldn't deform the case so much that it won't fit in the breech - it if it does, just run it thru a cheap Lee sizing die to restore it.

BTW Lee DOESN'T make a trimmer for the .25ACP.......I checked their site.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using a .25 ACP breech plug conversion on a T/C Omega.
wow pretty interesting is that a homemade conversion?? or is that something TC is doing now?? a small pistol primer in my opinion would be great ignition for a BP rifle, I use the 209 ignition but seems to hot for BP. somewhere I read the cci 209 primers are on the less hot side of primers so thats what i use now seems to work good. but a pistol primer would deffinately fill the gap between a musket cap and a 209 primer.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:58 AM

The .25 ACP conversion is being marketed my Precision Rifle, the makers of Dead Center muzzleloader bullets. I am using a CCI small rifle primer in mine. It works really slick. BTW, with a little ingenuity, I was able to figure out a way to trim my brass down to .607" and now it works even better. The action doesn't take nearly as much force to close now.

Quick Reply: Trimming .25 ACP brass (.25 auto)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.