Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Should I reload for hunting if I’m already getting small groups? >

Should I reload for hunting if I’m already getting small groups?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Should I reload for hunting if I’m already getting small groups?

Old 09-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Should I reload for hunting if I’m already getting small groups?

Should I reload for hunting if I’m already getting small groups? I’m shooting a varmint model ruger bolt action in 25-06 for deer. My only problem is bullet quality. My rifle loves cheap 120gr Winchester super-x ammo. With a proper rest, I’m getting 3 shot groups that I can cover with a dime at 100 yards, when I don’t screw the shots up. Up until last year I hunted with federal trophy bonded bear claws even though they didn’t group nearly as well. I trusted that bullets performance without question. Well federal in its infinite wisdom has dropped that round in my caliber. I do not trust ballistic tips. With a broad side shot the effects are devastating true, but their performance has been questionable in my experience with questionable angle shots that needed a lot of penetration. I realize the new bonded ballistic tips should fix that though. My question is for hunting, is the time and money, both in short supply, worth the effort to shoot a better bullet that may or may not get the accuracy results that I’m getting with cheap factory ammo. In all honesty, I have yet to take a deer with the cheap ammo so I have no way to judge its performance. Dead is dead right?

I don't reload right now, but am thinking about starting it within a couple of years.

Mike
Old 09-13-2004, 02:41 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Should I reload for hunting if I’m already getting small groups?

I do not trust ballistic tips.
Oh no, not another ballistic tip blowup myth flying around. Hey, if you wait for your shot, the cheapies will be just fine. Hit em in the lungs, with your winchesters, and down they go. For deer at least. I wouldn't use them, but sure they will kill.

Old 09-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Oh no, not another ballistic tip blowup myth flying around.
No, not a myth. Experience helping track and skin usually a quartering away shot that hit the rump instead of the ribs and didn’t do much damage to the vital organs at the far side. Remember I’m not throwing a lot of weight down field and I until now, knock on wood; I haven’t needed to take that kind of shot. I do worry about penetration because someday it will happen.

Mike
Old 09-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-13-2004, 04:00 PM
bigcountry

I have seen the internet chat rooms almost destroy the Bullistic Tip. Its ashame too. Fine deer bullet. I have seen people use them on Kudu, and warthogs with 300win mags. Seen it shot thru caribou at 200 yards. Saw them kill moose with ease from a 300RUM. With no problems. I have shot dozens of deer with them, from shoulder shots, to even chest shots. Almost all were pass thrus. I have seen them fail on hogs in WV shot at the chest plate. But also seen coreloks do the same thing on hogs later to be dropped with a broadsided shot. Now, I have been down South Carolina and seen those deer. None were over 210lbs like deer up north.

Failures I have seen if on a hog on head on shot, and a 250 yard broadside shot that hit the shoulder. Other than that, I have seen them with 50-60% wieght retention.

Old 09-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-13-2004, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

well............

I had 2 factory Winchester Silvertips in .308Win explode on impact with hogs - 1 shoulder shot & 1 head shot. I won't rely on them anymore - although they may work fine on thinner skinned game or at longer distances. They just don't fit my hunting....................but they ARE nice shooting bullets - very accurate.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before I moved out of my parents house I used 308 winchester supreme 168 grain cxp2 Ballistic silvertips I love them awesome deer bullet I had taken approximately a 175 yard quartering shot at a deer with one the bullet hit the left rear leg went all the way through its thigh and exited then re-entered just behind its left shoulder took out a lung and the heart and exited out where its neck and chest meet. that deer dropped like a rock. When I moved out of my parents and didnt have that much extra money to spend 25 dollars on a box of shells. I started using 150 grain remington express core lokts and killed deer with them just as good as I did with the ballistic silvertips with both bullets I have never had to put more then one bullet in a deer. except for a doe I necked the with a core lokt hit it in the neck the bullet exited in a downward direction then spined it and exited out of its left side didnt hit any vitals but it had a broken neck and its spine was split just behind the shoulders I watched it from my stand waiting about 15 minutes for it stop twitching it never did so I got down and shot it in the head from about 10 feet i'll never do that again I got spattered in the face with bits of skull and blood but I felt something needed to be done my knife was in the truck and I wasnt about to wait and watch it suffer with the wounds it had it could have taken hours before it died. Nowadays I enjoy the multiple options that reloading offers.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:49 AM
bigcountry

Mark, don't really know what to tell ya. None of my business, but that little area behind the shoulder and maybe 12-20" in front of the hind is probably what you want to go after for hogs. I have seen head shots fail with a 300lb boar in WV with coreloks also. For the record, a hog is not remotely in the same category as a deer.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reloading can save you money on cost per round of ammo fired. Problem is most reloaders shoot more that those that do not, and may even spend more on shooting.

Dead is dead, and factory 25/06 ammo will kill deer just fine.

Quick Reply: Should I reload for hunting if I’m already getting small groups?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.