Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Ballistics chart 7mmWSM?? >

Ballistics chart 7mmWSM??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Ballistics chart 7mmWSM??

Old 09-07-2004, 03:55 PM

Default Ballistics chart 7mmWSM??

Maybe someone can help me out. I need to know the drop that I can expect from this cartridge/rifle combination. Winchester Ultimate Shadow, 24" bbl, chambered for 7mmWSM. Average MV at 10" from the muzzle, using 140gr Nosler Accubond bullets is 3225fps. Zeroed right on "X" ring at 200yds. Groups at 2" high at 100 yards. What will drop be at 300 yards? At 400 yards? At 500 yards?
Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ballistics chart 7mmWSM??

Steve, I would give Nosler a call on their 1-800 number and ask them . They have a ballistic chart on their FAQ page but it only covers ballistic coefficients starting at .520
Old 09-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only way to find out is to shoot it and see. Ballistics tables are overrated and each rifle is an individual.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:54 PM

I appreciate your opinion, but I cannot buy that the ballistics tables are "over rated". I am giving specifics, in terms of MV, barrel length, bullet weight and zero (being at 200 yards). I realize that one cannot factor in temperature and wind, but ruling those out, the bullet will travel a very pridictable path, being acted upon by gravity and deceleration. I know that there are programs to predict the data, for which I asked. Just saying that you do not know that answer is no answer, but thanks anyway.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, do a search for the Point Blank software, its free. But when you go out and miss a shot at 300 yards because you are relying on tables, don't cry about it. I still say if you want to know where your gun shoot then get off your ass and shoot it. Ammo is cheap compared to missed shots.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only way to find out is to shoot it and see. Ballistics tables are overrated and each rifle is an individual.

Exactly.I have proven several ballistic tables wrong at distances as close as 300 yards with larger errors at 400 and 500 yards.This was using exact velocities measured with a chronograph and ballistic co-efficients posted by the bullet manufacturer for the exact bullet.The only accurate way to determine the trajectory of a given load is to actually shoot it at the various distances.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to www.handloads.com www.norma.cc www.realguns.com ,and fill in the blanks under ballistics. I use ballistic charts and curves all the time; I don't like going into anything blind. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:00 AM

I did not get nasty with anyone. No need to get testy and use gutter language.
Around here, Maryland. It is very difficult to find a range longer then 200yds. I envy you guys who can shoot 1000yds out the back door. I cannot.
Second point: The kill area on an elk is relatively large. No? I simply wanted something close, in terms of bullet drop, given my stats.
Seems like on every List, some people lash out, rather then speak as gentlemen. This, in part, is why baroom brawls get started, but here, we are safe behind our screens. No?
I did not mean to "dis" anyone. I simply asked the question, with my own agenda and set of restrictions in place. Thanks for the positive responses.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-08-2004, 05:53 PM

500 2259 -33.0
Thanks much for the intel JD338. I may have a chance to check out the drop when I get out there, as I intend to arrive three days early, but it sure is nice having that data ahead of time.
The 140gr Accubond was the most accurate, in my rifle, of the four bullets that I tested. I wanted to go with the Barnes TSX but groups through my tube printed twice the size to Accubond groups. Second best was Interbond bullets 139gr.
At 200 yards, I am putting five rounds in a circle under 1 1/2". For 62 year old eyes, that is not bad.

Quick Reply: Ballistics chart 7mmWSM??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.