Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Yet another question.. Anealing?? >

Yet another question.. Anealing??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Yet another question.. Anealing??

Old 02-27-2002, 01:07 AM

Default Yet another question.. Anealing??

Greets again,
I have read in several places that case neck anealing is a good Idea, my manual lists 2 ways, either a torch to heat the case neck and then nock it over in water, or a lead melting pot.. melt the lead and then using bare hands dip the case into the pot, holding it by the base, when the base becomes uncomfortable to hold, pull the case and drop it in a bucket of water.
My question is twofold, one do I really need to worry about anealing at all? and two, I dont have a torch, but I have the lead pot and lead for muzzleloader balls, if I do this should I try that way, or invest in a cheap propane torch and do it that way??

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 02-27-2002, 04:03 AM
Spike

Default RE: Yet another question.. Anealing??

Adui13,Anealing is more then torching and then dumping it into water.You need to make sure each piece of brass is heated to the same temp and so on.Its not worth doing. I have used 06 brass at least 25 reloads with just neck sizing.Just my opinion.Remember the x ring breaks the tie.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Yet another question.. Anealing??

Annealing is something you should avoid, if it is not necessary. Generally, good brass that is used in it's original configuration will stand many relodings before it gets so brittle that necks start to split, etc. This is really a function of how much sizing the case neck gets when you resize it. For example, I have to anneal all .284 Win. cases that I size down to 6mm for the 6mm/.284 cartridge. Also, I have had problems making .250 Savage cases out of .22/250 brass, and have had case necks split after using .308" bullets in a 7.65mm Argentine with Norma cases. In all these instances, I was able to stop the splitting by annealing the necks. But it is a real pain. If you don't have to do it, don't!!

Larry