Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 who will make custom bullets >

who will make custom bullets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

who will make custom bullets

Old 07-02-2004, 07:13 AM

Default who will make custom bullets

i am looking for someone who will only make the bullet heads
for a 8mm.
bullet will be made from billet alloy or billet steel NO lead NO copper
type of bullet hollow point or military
Old 07-02-2004, 07:28 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: who will make custom bullets

Any machinist in your area should be able to be contracted to do it. But if you not using lead or copper or any other material of that malloiblity, you sure wouldn't be able to shoot it in anything with rifling. It would build pressure so quick, and would give any.

Are you saying armor piercing? like to cut off the head of a bullet and transplant it? Its none of my business, I believe the ATF would have issues with that, kinda like dum dums or liquid tephlon coated bullets. I would tread a tad lightly on contacting reputable bullet makers wanting such.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think making bullets out of any metal besides copper, lead or other materials of similar hardness would be illegal. But if you are a BATFE agent trolling here, you would already know that.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Armor piercing rounds are not one bit illegal. You can buy API 50 BMG rounds just about any where. You may need some kind of license to manufacture them though????????

However if you do not have a copper jacket over that steel core you will blow up your rifle.

Like Biccountry said any machine shop with a CNC machine would be able to make these bullets but you would still need to have a copper jacket formed to the steel core.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Military has sold literally millions of rounds of armor piercing ammo for the .308 and .30-06 and maybe even the .223 as well.....I've not looked but it's likely that AP rounds are also available for the 8MM Mauser too.

I think you need a lot of coaching to pull off this bullet making trick and I doubt seriously that it's illegal at all.....especially if you don't try to sell them.

I'm not having any luck trying to guess what purpose you have but look for off the shelf AP bullets in 8MM. If you're unfortunate enough to find some to make them for you, I sure hope he knows what he's doing.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, its illegal to manufacture NEW AP ammo for the civillian market. The law is much like the magazine limit law- you can buy, sell, and use hi cap magazines, but its a felony to make a hi-cap magazine unless its for the military or stamped for "law enforcement only" which is illegal for a non LEO to possess.
There is alot of .50 bmg AP and incediary on the market- perfectly legal.
30-06 AP ammo isn't too hard to find, I know of a source of pulled 30-06 AP bullets, all perfectly legal.
Boatloads of 7.62x39 AP and 8x57 steel core surplus stuff out there.
If you were to take the pulled 30-06 bullets and load them into anything other than 30-06, you might be treading into a very dark gray area of the law, but then again noone is going to know unless you tell someone about it.

Making your own AP bullets becomes a felony the moment you load them into a cartridge.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/legal/armor.htm
Old 07-06-2004, 02:10 AM

thank you all for your words.

but i am not in the usa. so your laws don't a ply to me.

but happying hunting all

P.S can you buy DU rounds for 8mm
Old 07-07-2004, 07:18 AM
bigcountry

Then how in the world can a bunch of americans help you find what you are looking for? Why would you need these sort of things? You ask questions, and we try to help, but its very difficult to help you if you don't give much info.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are a number of bullets in the world that have mild steel jackets and lead cores. Most are plated with something like cupronickel or copper to prevent rust, and the lead core gives enough for the mild steel to talke the rifleing with no excessive pressures, and little barrel wear. However, I believe a SOLID, groove-diameter STEEL bullet would be something else again! Engraving such a thing would be very difficult, probably causing excessive pressures, and in all probability damaging the bore. I would not attempt such a thing. Armor-piercing bullets have tungsten cores, which are very hard. But these cores are surrounded by a lead plug and a gilding metal jacket. The ones I've seen taken from M2 ball AP bullets appear to be about .25 caliber or so, and NEVER TOUCH the bore of the rifle they're fired in!

Quick Reply: who will make custom bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.