Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 No longer get Federal brass >

No longer get Federal brass

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

No longer get Federal brass

Old 06-23-2004, 08:20 AM
bigcountry

Default No longer get Federal brass

I didn't realize you can't buy federal brass unless you get it from old inventory. Called Federal, and said no more. I haven't had to buy any for the past 3 years, but now wanted some new 300RUM brass. Only place that has it is DLsports.

Old 06-29-2004, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: No longer get Federal brass

Yes, this is a shame, and also a pain! I wonder what motivated this move by Federal? I will admit their brass was not usually my first choice, but they offered some calibers that others didn't!!
Old 06-29-2004, 07:47 AM
bigcountry

Boy, if they quit selling primers, alot of reloaders would be shut down. Federal is one company that is low key about thier decisions. They really don't put out announcements or any or much data on reloading but I think make the best ammo in the business. Besides the insanely crazy ammo like weatherby and such.

Old 06-30-2004, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, we'd be in heap big trouble if they stopped selling primers!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

I got my last Federal brass off e-bay a year ago. No problems and I guess I better order some more. JDinAB
Old 06-30-2004, 11:09 AM

I would guess much of Federal's manufacturing capacity is going towards filling military contracts.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think I've ever seen federal brass in stores near me anyhow- everything is R-P and Winchester.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boy, if they quit selling primers, alot of reloaders would be shut down.
Just out of curiousity, why do you hold Federal primers in such high regard. I've used both CCI and Winchester primers in large pistol, large rifle and small rifle and have had great results, but never really saw much difference in loads with either type (and yes, for safety I redo my load workup when I switch primer brands, in case you're wondering). I just bought a box of Federal small rifle primers to use in a load I'm planning on working up for my .454 Casull, but haven't loaded them yet.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just out of curiousity, why do you hold Federal primers in such high regard.
Its gotta be the thicker packaging.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:14 AM
bigcountry

drift, I use CCI for almost all my pistols. I use both winchester and federal for my 270 and 308, and 30-06 but find accuracy using 210's. I use federal 215M for my magnum rifles. And some 9.5's from remington. So yep, i use them all too. I did alot of tests with my 300RUM and found I can much lower velocity spreads with a 215M over a Winchester WLRM. I get higher velocities with the same load with the winchesters, but my velocity spread goes up also by 30fps. I have struggled with this RUM to get the velocity spreads low. 215M gets the job done. I also have this load that likes CCI 250's in my RUM for some reason. Its 94gr of H1000 and 180gr Partition. I get best results with the 250. Maybe dumb luck, maybe the right combo, but either way the 250 gets the job done for me.

Bottom line, I use em all. Winchesters seem to be too hot, and cause erratic results sometime for me. Other than that, all of em do what they are intended.

Bottom line,