Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Overall Length Variations >

Overall Length Variations

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Overall Length Variations

Old 02-18-2002, 09:08 AM
bigcountry

Default Overall Length Variations

Guys, I notice this alot and hope ya all could share your observations. While loading rifle shells or spitzers, I will set my COL, lets say to 3.3" for 270Win with Sierra SPBT 130g, for my first round. Just because I am anal, I measure all rounds. I get some wide variations due to the shape of the bullet. Corelokts are the worst. With the 270 example, I measured variations from 3.285" to 3.31". Lets say my max COL is 3.3" as suggested by the manuals, should I set my longest to 3.3" and the rest will be around 2.80"? How do you guys do it?

Reason I ask is when I find a load I like and produces good groups, I want to of course replicate it again. But if I set my first round to the desired length, I am kinda constrained by the quality of that bullet.

Also, for those with alot of experience, what brand do you see have the least amount of variations? For me the Matchking would one I see the least.

Edited by - bigcountry on 02/18/2002 10:09:31

Edited by - bigcountry on 02/18/2002 10:09:49

Old 02-18-2002, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Overall Length Variations

Big country-The first thing you need to do is ignore the manual when it comes to overall lengths.All bullets vary in shape as different rifles vary in chamber and throat dimentions.I measure each bullet to see how long it would have to be to touch the lands then adjust as necessary for best accuracy and to make it fit the magazine.To measure each bullet I take a fired case and put a small dent in the lip so the bullet slides into the case snugly.I then start the bullet in the case and chamber this dummy round letting the bolt push the bullet into the rifling.I then carefully remove the dummy round and measure the overall length.This takes a bit of trial and error so I do it until I get the same measurement a few times.I then shorten this length slightly so the bullet is off the lands and load some ammunition.As I said you must do this for each different bullet and you will be surprised at how much they do vary.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:25 AM
bigcountry

Stubblejumper, the above was just an example using max COL. The question was basically, what variations do you usually see in COL when loading. Also, what bullets do you usually see the least amount of variation?

Even though I am a cheap guy, I went ahead and ordered a comparator. The reason I was asked the questions was I found a load and COL that would produce outstanding results in my 270 last year. I went to try to load some and couldn't reproduce without changing the COL a little. So as suspected, it was due to the variation of the bullets and the first one i seated happened to be one of the "short ones". So my average COL changed from 3.29" (with outstanding results), to 3.315" due to the first bullet I seated was different than the first bullet last year. I hope this clears it up for you.

Hopefully using a comparator in the future will let me reproduce groups with Load/COL configurations.

Old 02-20-2002, 01:52 PM

Partitions have always worked well for me. It is set for my 300 WIN for about 3.365. I get anywhere from 3.360 to 3.370. Pretty small difference. I have loaded and have had problems with Hornady Interlocks and A Frame bullets, much like your describing. I would check out the Noslers. everyone says they are expensive but they are in line if not cheaper than other premium bullets.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:24 PM
bigcountry

Thanks Flattop. Thats the info I was looking for. Hey I just ordered some A-Frames. What did you think of them. Any luck.

I was loading Speer GS for a moose trip, but thought A-Frames might be better.

Old 02-20-2002, 08:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2002, 10:01 PM

Along the same line, I have a quick question regarding different bullet lengths. I am loading some Rem. PSPCL, 100gr in 6MM. The Core-Loks have a cannelure for crimping yet to obtain correct OAL I must seat them beyond the groove. Anyone see a problem with doing so?
Old 02-21-2002, 03:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-21-2002, 07:56 AM
bigcountry

Again, DG, thanks. I understand all what you and stubblejumper said fully and have for some time. I myself also load well above max standards all the time and thats all good and well.

My question again, is "WHAT KIND OF VARIATIONS DO YOU SEE WITH DIFFERENT BULLETS AND WHAT DO YOU SEE THE LEAST AMOUNT OF VARIATIONS."

I myself have never shot a ballistic tip, but am considering it on deer next year. Thanks for the information about ballistic tip.

I beleive a uniform shape and quality and accuracy go hand in hand. Thats why in some of my guns I believe I can get .3" groups with matchkings.

I hope this makes it perfectly clear. That is the reason I broke down and bought a comparator so I could hit my lands the same way with every shot. I was just wanting to discuss the variations in different brands and bullets. Seems the cheapest, have the biggest variations.

Old 02-21-2002, 12:59 PM

bigcountry, I have only loaded A Frames in my 7 mag, once. Accuracy was horrible. I always have gotten the best groups using Partitions. I haven't loaded Ballistic tips in either of my guns but my dad shoots them out of his 30-06 for antelope and muley's. They are a very tight shooting bullet also. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Overall Length Variations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.