Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 What bullet?? 270wsm >

What bullet?? 270wsm

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What bullet?? 270wsm

Old 04-04-2004, 09:30 AM

Default What bullet?? 270wsm

Im getting a buddy to reload for my 270 wsm and was wondering what would be the best bullet to get and grain? Im using the rifle for hunting mule deer and whitetail and since I live in Saskatchewan the long shots are a possibility. Basically I want a bullet then can take an animal quicky and from a good distance. All posts are appreciated as I am quite new to this.
Cheers!!
Old 04-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What bullet?? 270wsm

work up a load with the Hornady 130 or 150 grain interbond
Old 04-04-2004, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 130gr bullets will do everything that you require.You do not need a heavier bullet for any deer hunting.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:03 PM
jjt

140 gr accubond or 140 gr nosler partition

vapo
man you have got expensive taste in bullets (ie. aframe, interbond, etc)your wife must be one very understanding women
Old 04-04-2004, 12:29 PM

Have any of you guys used the Ballistic Silvertip Boattail? I see I can get them in a 130 grain and the blip behind the bullet says" made expressly to maximize long range bullet stabilty and accuracy" Any thoughts??
Cheers!!
Old 04-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

For longer ranges on animals as heavy as northern whitetails and mulies I would stay away from ballistic tip style bullets and use more of a controlled expansion bullet. My choice for the 270 wsm in your application would be a Barnes 130gr XLC.
I really like ballistic tip bullets for lighter game, I have had goodaccuracy and performance with the 270 wby mag on pronghorns with the 130 grain nosler BT at 3290 fps. (1/2" groups @100 yds.)
Old 04-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

vapo
man you have got expensive taste in bullets (ie. aframe, interbond, etc)your wife must be one very understanding women
JJT.....why shoot unless you're going to "care enough to send the very best"

About four years ago I bought a box of 50 200 grain swift A-Frames .308 caliber. I never shoot more than a few a year.....I practice with much less costly Hornady 190 grain interlocks that shoot roughly the same as the Swifts. At the current rate that $42 box of swifts will last another six years.....that's about $5 a year.......I don't think it's all that costly.

Last year I shot two of them.....two dead whitetails for the freezer. I think anyone that reloads can afford the best hunting bullets and it's really not that expensive if they're "metered out".

I also shoot "premium" bullets in all my guns over .30 caliber when hunting including my .404 Jeffery. I spend a fair amount of time finding a compatible bullet for practicing however and I certainly don't use "buck-a-piece" bullets for shooting carp in the creek.

Deer hunting and for that matter pronghorns as well don't require much of a bullet and further the hunts are relatively cheap. However when one shells out $3,500 and more for an elk, caribou, or moose hunt.....or even an African hunt I want the best bullets I can get.....and Swift, Nosler, Barnes and the Hornady interbonds are those bullets. The overall cost is actually peanuts!!!!
Old 04-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have personally taken over twenty of our large bodied canadian whitetails and mule deer(several over 300lbs live weight) with 100gr ballistic tips out of my 257wby and 140gr ballistic tips out of my 7mmstw.All were quick clean kills with no bullets failing to penetrate to the vitals.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:16 PM
jjt

i was not trying to be offensive or anything i was more or less joking vapo

just i have bought the a-frames very similiar to the np x the bonding and the price is half

also the accubond very very similiar to the interbond $12-14 difference a box of 50

all for are very good bullets and i can shoot all for equally well or very close + or - 1/2 inch

i also shoot the load/ bullet that i hunt with year around so that is in the neighbor hood of + or - 400 rounds

sorry if i offended i was just trying to be funny
Old 04-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

For my 270 weatherby mag I am working up a load for the 140 gr tripple shock x bullet. Should be everything you could ever want.

Brian

Quick Reply: What bullet?? 270wsm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.