Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Never tried reloading, have some questions >

Never tried reloading, have some questions

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Never tried reloading, have some questions

Old 03-27-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Never tried reloading, have some questions

I have never tried reloading, and was wondering how much it would start to get going, and if i would save more money in the long run by reloading. Also is it hard to do it
Old 03-27-2004, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Never tried reloading, have some questions

Hey Steve..I have been handloading off and on for about 20 yrs. If you have some questions, drop me an e-mail at [email protected] Drew
Old 03-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much it costs really depends on the type of equipment you choose to buy, and if you buy new or used. There are guys here who started handloading with used Lee equipment for well under $100, and others like me who invested my money into higher quality equipment that's mostly new.

I recently got started myself, and I went with, and HIGHLY recommend, the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit. I think that starting with a single stage press is probably the best way to go since you only worry about one step in the process at a time. The RC Supreme kit comes with the latest version of the Rockchucker press (the Model IV), which has an ambidexterous handle attachment and larger opening to accommodate the really long ultra mags. The kit also comes with a decent beam scale (the Model 5-0-5, and a scale is NOT optional for handloading), a camfering/deburring tool, uniflow powder measure, loading block, a set of brushed and allen wrenches, and a VERY handly hand priming tool. The press can be used to prime cases, but it's a real PITA compared to the hand tool. I can prime 100 rounds in 5 minutes with the hand priming tool. It'd take a half hour or more with the press. Not to mention that the hand priming tool ensures that you never have to touch a primer with your fingers. The RC kit also comes with a Speer reloading manual. It's not the greatest manual, IMO, as it only lists the more popular cartridges, and some of the loads for certain cartridges are a bit mild (the .454 Casull loads listed in their manual are just down right lame, for instance). I'd get the Lyman and Hornady manuals. But are really good, and the Lyman manual lists loads for a variety of different bullet and powder manufacturers (most of the other manuals only list loads with their bullets or powders, for obvious reasons).

I've got a set of RCBS pistol dies in .45ACP that make great ammo for my pistol. I chose Redding dies for my .22-250 and don't regret it for one second. The make outstanding ammo, in fact just today I shot a 0.105 MOA 3 shot group and a .345 MOA 5-shot group, at 200 yards with handloads made with these dies. I can't complain!

There are a number of other tools that you'll eventually need or want to make your life easier, such as a case trimmer, case tumbler (makes your brass happy brass! [8D]), better loading blocks (you can make 'em yourself for cheap out of scrap lumber if you have access to a drill press and a set of Forstner bits), primer pocket brushes, etc...

I'd say that depending what you decide to buy you'll likely spend anywhere from $100 to $500 to get started, including dies for at least a couple different calibers. I initially spent about $450, and have since spent quite a bit more on additional tools. There's ALWAYS something that you "need" to buy that you just can't live without, if you know what I mean!

As far as how difficult it is to handload, it's really not that hard at all IMO. The most important thing to remember is to go slow, follow the published load data to the letter, and pay attention to detail. Nobody likes an accident. All of the manuals I have or have read all have detailed, step-by-step instructions on the reloading process including some tips to make better loads. Also make sure you read the manuals that come with the press, dies and other tools carefully so you understand how to properly set up and adjust the equipment to work properly. And if you get stuck and just can't figure something out you should ask here or, better yet, find an experience handloader to give you hands on assistance.

Most importantly, be safe and have fun. Handloading is, for me at least, a very enjoyable hobby in itself. And when you see your groups shrink because of ammo you loaded yourself, it's VERY rewarding.

Mike
Old 03-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

One very important tool that is really a must have that I forgot to mention is a decent dial or digital caliper. Being able to measure your ammo to make sure they are within specs is important, and a caliper is the most versatile way to do that.

Mike
Old 03-28-2004, 01:02 PM

If you haven't followed reloading, let me just say it is real common for reloaders to end up with a Rockchucker mounted on their bench, and it usaually doesn't come off even if a progressive is added later. I just feel you can't go wrong with a Rockchucker kit as a first press. It remains my only Rifle press after many years.

If money is scaring you off, look to the used market. Put in a want ad or look on ebay if you want to try beating new price.

Will you save money in the long run? I can pretty much say you won't. That is mainly because you will end up shooting more. You should maybe ask yourself if you want a new hobby. That is what it ends up being, and as hobbies go, it really is not that expensive.

Also, ask yourself if you have a space you can set up for reloading, and not have to setup and take down. I have a bomb shelter in my house, that was pretty much wasted space, not used for anything. It makes a great reloading and gun room. I put a little humidity control in the room, and a metal combination locking gate for a door. I like to kid that I have a walk-in gun cabinet. My wife is not that comfortable with guns, so for her it is great too, all is out of sight and locked up.

It is not that hard to do. Start by getting a manual or two. Most all of them have step by step instructions on how to in the front of the book. Read through a couple of times, and you will know if you want the new hobby.

It is extremely satisfying to see how changes can tighten up a group, and sometimes quite a challenge. Let us know if you have more questions.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:42 AM

Hello, It depends on wich caliber you are reloading to tell if you will save money. 9 mm luger, 30-30, 308, 7.62x39, 223,etc is not worth reloading if you are looking to save money. You can usually get it cheap around hunting time or go to a gun show for the military surplus. Reloading is a hobby to me. I enjoy custom tuning a round to match my gun. RCBS is Quality stuff and a nice way to go. I use my dads old JR press(cast iron weighs a ton) that he bought new in 1954. Yea its slow but I reload in stages.
Tumble the brass(using a $5 flea market rock polisher), Deprime size and reprime, check and trim if needed(rifle a must, auto pistol you usually get 3 reloads before trimming), Bell, flair or expand the mouth of the case to accept a bullet, charge the cases and seat the bullet, and finaly crimp the case mouth.

I usually get my brass done to the bell stage then when I need rounds all I have to do is charge, seat the bullet and crimp(the fun stuff). A reloading scale is a MUST, you dont need a digital(they are nice if you can afford one then get one). Even though I am partial to RCBS I will tell you that Lee presses are good quality for the mild reloader. Look on Cabelas web site for presses and you will see that the lee are very reasonable. I would recomend a turet press on what ever brand you buy. A progressive press is more for pistol shooters and is usually not worth the upfront expense. Also buy some Ammo cans to store your supplies. They are water proof and usually cheap at a gun show.

I usually buy my jacketed bullets 100 at a time, and lead I buy 1000 at a time. I buy powder 1 lb at a time, and primers 1000 at a time. Once you get a good load you can really buy bulk and save more money. Whats it cost to reload well here is my break down

40 S&W 180 gr JHP
bullet Winchester bulk .11
Primer CCI small pistol .017
powder AA#5 6.5 grains .02 (7000 grains = 1 lb powder usually around $20 lb)
cost per box of 50 to reload $7.35

40 S&W 155 gr LSWC Lead bullet
Bullet Hard cast bulk .038
Primer CCI small pistol .017
Powder AA#5 7.2 grains .02
cost per box of 50 to reload $3.75

300 Winchester Magnum
Bullet Speer 180 gr splitzer .15
primer CCI large mag Rifle .018
Powder Imr 4895 57grains .17
cost per box of 20 $6.76

So if you figure that 40 S&W JHP ammo is more than $12 a box, and 300 win magnum is hard to find under $20 a box, reloading saves money(not counting your time). If you figure out your savings after 100 rounds of Rifle ammo the lee press is free.
Jay
Old 04-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Fork Horn

Evening. I got into reloading in the Spring of '99 primarily due to Cowboy Action Shooting, but I also handload .30-06 and .300 Remington Ultra Mag.

The RCBS Master Kit noted above is a good way to go initially. While the Speer reloading manual included in the kit may not have as many loads as some manuals, it does have excellent instructions for the reloading process. I had never reloaded before and found the instructions very intuitive, and in great detail. The newest Nosler manual, on the other hand, has a superb variety of loads, but it's reloading instructions are not nearly as detailed as what's in the Speer manual.

The information provided in the posts above this one are all quite good.
You'll also want to get a bullet puller (didn't see it listed in the posts above). Eventually you will screw something up and need to dismantle a completed bullet. Get a "bullet puller."
Regards.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 PM

hey, what type of reloading do you want to do, rifle/handgun or shotshell. post what your goal is and the type of reloading you want to do. then you can get more specific help.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:19 AM

This web site is all the answers almost.
http://www.midwayusa.com/
Old 04-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: smoothsteve I have never tried reloading, and was wondering how much it would start to get going, and if i would save more money in the long run by reloading. Also is it hard to do it.
You can save money IF YOU SHOOT A LOT, AND DON'T START OFF BY BUYING EVERY DOG-GONE TOOL THERE IS!! You can get started in reloading with just a press, a set of dies, a powder scale, 100 priers, a pound of powder, and a box of bullets!! I did, but I started with the Lyman 310 tool, not a press even!! You can add all the frills and more expensive tooling later, if you decide you like it. I started reloading so I could shoot more for less money than had I used factory ammo!

BUT, I got interested in trying to make better ammo and ammo for a bunch of weird calibers that you couldn't buy ammo for in those days (a lot of German and Japanese rifles, etc.), so ended up with a room full of reloading stuff! So I gave up trying to save money. But I do a lot of shooting!!

Reloading is NOT hard to do. I started reloading centerfire ammo at age 14, but had previous experience shooting muzzleloaders! Just get a good manual. and study it. Lyman prints a great manual.

Quick Reply: Never tried reloading, have some questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.