Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 New to reloading.... >

New to reloading....

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

New to reloading....

Old 03-02-2004, 09:53 AM

Default New to reloading....

I have decided that I would like to start reloading. I need advice on what kind of press to use, what are the essentials, etc... I will be loading for a 45/70, .450, .500 S&W Mag, 22-250, 30-30, .44 mag all at some point. Any advice you cold offer would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New to reloading....

This is a tough question. You can start out with a dillon which will load everything or a simple Lee hand press. How much money do you want to spend. I started out with the RCBS kit which included the Jr. Press and sacle and all of the little tools and case lube pad . I upgraded shortly after that to the Rockchucker press. I also bought a powder Measure and case trimmer later. I also bought a Lee Turret press kit and enjoy useing it for pistol shells. If you plan to reload a lot you might want to look at the progressive reloaders which will speed things up a lot. I have a couple Lee 1000 progressives that work well if you keep a close eye on the primer feed and stuff. Go to the Midway site and look over all the different kits. You can't go wrong with anything RCBS. I have loded a lot of shells with that little Lee hand press. Its slow but its cheap and it works and loads good ammo. Its one of those hobbies that you can keep it simple or jump in with both feet. Whatever you do, Get a good scale. I now load all my hunting ammo with the little lee dipper set and weigh every charge.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Since You're just starting out, I really wouldn't advise getting a progressive system like a Dillon. They are NICE machines - but since keeping your hand or arm attached to your body is a MUST..........it's best to take your time at first and learn the craft well with a single stage press.........there is MUCH less chance of an Ooops with them.

Since you're strating from scratch...........one of the kits which contain a press, scale, measure, and other tools would be a big plus. The RCBS Rockchucker kit is an Excellent unit to go with, if you have the bucks available. If not, Lee has several kits you could start with. They aren't bad pieces, just not a "stout" as the other brands. With some practice under your belt, you will then have a better feel for what heavy press you might want - such as a Dillon, Redding, or RCBS.

One other piece of equipment that won't come with the kits that I have found to be essential is a set of calipers. The digitals are nice, but not necessary .............. the dial jobs are plenty good for the calibers you're looking at working with.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:30 PM

Big Bore 1895,

Welcome to the site. Handloading is a terrific hobby.

Your question comes up every once in awhile. That you raise the question on this site is a plus. There are many fine people who will help you with your questions. The best suggestion I can make, is that you buy a manual and read it cover to cover at least twice. This will answer many of the questions you have, but more importantly, it will introduce subjects and raise questions you haven't thought of yet. The new Lyman manual is a good one to get and will be a good one to have once you start loading. Good luck and God Bless.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recently bought the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit, and I'm very happy with the investment. There is a reason that the Rockchucker is the most popular single stage press on the planet. Build to last a lifetime, the the Rockchucker Model IV which is the latest version sold in the Supreme Master Kit, not only is ambidexterous (I'm a righty, so it doesn't matter to me, but I can see how nice it would be if I wanted to use my left hand to operate the press), it also has an opening big enough to fit any of the longest cartridges except the .50BMG.

The only other must have is definately a caliper. There really isn't a much better way to check the dimensions of the cases and loaded rounds precisely than with a caliper. And for rifle calibers I've found that a bullet comparator attachment for the caliper really helps with bullet seating consistance, but it is completely optional. I've handloaded 200 rounds of .45ACP and 150 rounds of 22-250 so far, and I'm having a ball doing it. This new hobby hasn't really saved me any money, but I've shot both my .45 and my rifle more in the last month than I usually do in six months.

Have fun and enjoy...good luck.

Mike
Old 03-04-2004, 12:32 AM

Mike,

Sounds as if you're hooked. I agree with you on the quality of RCBS equipment. If you buy quality, you'll never regret it.
" Honey, look at the money I'll save!" Is the universal lie told to wives by husbands, and smart woman, to husbands. I've been at this about 54 years and I haven't saved a cent. But I sure have enjoyed all the shooting. Let us know if we can be of help. Good luck and God Bless
Old 03-05-2004, 05:38 PM

I would have to agree, get the RCBS. I started out with a Lee, and after about a year of loading, I'm ready to switch to some better equipment. Wish I would have just got the RCBS to start with now and saved some money. In the last year I've loaded around 1000rnds of .45acp, 400rnds or.45colt, 200rnds of .30-06, and just finished 500rnds of 9x18 makarov for a friend. All on a Lee challenger press. With all the pistol reloading I'm starting to think about a progressive too.

Anyone ever figured out what it costs per round to load, and how that compares to factory? I figure I save on some, and about break even with others, but it's more about the hobby and making quality ammo than really saving money...The wife likes to shoot too, so she at least goes along with it.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:31 PM

BigBore1895,

Welcome to the club. Reloading is a great hobby. The best advice I can give you is to buy a manual and read it at least twice before you start buying things. The Lyman #48 is a good one to start with. I've used a RCBS Rockchuck press for more years than I care to count. IMHO, it is the best press on the market. At one time that was also true with RCBS dies. IMHO, Redding has taken over the top spot with RCBS in second place. If you have any questions, this is a good place to seek answers. There are many fine, knowledgeable people on this site that have always been very helpful to those starting out.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:28 PM

Spen the extra money and buy an electronic scale and the best dial calipers you can afford. I like Brown & Sharpe.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

The advice about getting a good manual and reading it is sound. I found the Speer manual that came with the Rockchucker Master Kit quite detailed. It is written in "newbie" language with sufficient detail that I was able to follow it easily.

One other piece of advice. Spend a couple hours with someone who is experienced at reloading and have 'em talk you through the process. It makes things a lot easier when you sit down by yourself. This combined with the good level of detail in the Speer manual gave me the necessary skill to get started.

Regards.

Quick Reply: New to reloading....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.