Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 What reloader do you use and why? >

What reloader do you use and why?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What reloader do you use and why?

Old 02-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default What reloader do you use and why?

I have been thinking about getting a Dillen 550 or 650. Anyone use one of these? Is it worth the $$$?
Thanks,
Rick
Old 02-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What reloader do you use and why?

sniff, sniff. I brushed my teeth and even took a shower so cant be me. is this a old question or does everyone just hand load and not use a loading press? LOL
Rick
Old 02-23-2004, 12:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rick the 550 is a manual progressive and the 650 is a auto-progressive . They both rely on a powder measure to deliver the powder to the case . I like to measure each charge so they don't work for me . For that reason I use a RCBS rockchucker which is a single stage . Sorry I got my why before my what , but I think you will understand what I'm saying . I have owned both of the Dillons a 550 & 650 and still have a SquareDeal-B for pistol ammo . They are great presses but just don't suit my way of loading . Do you smell something
Old 02-23-2004, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

I reload like halcon too single stage and weigh every charge. Rockchucker for me too; I started with a LEE chalanger but I din't like the spent primer catcher so upgraded when the price was right.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:27 AM

I have both the rockchucker and the dillon 550b and would recommend both machines. If you are looking to load large amounts of ammo than the 550b is the way to go. Otherwise a single stage rockchucker will do the job. I also have the lee 5 stage auto indexing loader that I rarely use, reason seems like the auto indexing keeps on running into problems.
Polack
Old 02-23-2004, 10:38 AM

I use a Lyman single stage that is older than me, (I'm 37)

Reason? I bought it used for $20, figured I would upgrade someday, but I like it. I weigh every powder charge, so it doesn't really slow me down. And besides, the ammo I make with it gives me sub-MOA accuracy.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a single stage rockchucker and love it!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

my reloading bench is eight sided.....(octagonal in shape)...It consists of two Dillon 550, one dillon 650, one RCBS Grand in 20 Ga, two Mec 9000G in 20 Ga and 12 Ga, A Hornady AP, and an RCBS Rockchucker.

The dillon presses are very fine tools and worth the money if you do a lot of reloading.....

I still spend more time behind my rockchucker than all the other presses put together.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:10 PM

I plan on buying a 550 to run pistol/revolver ammo out and will probably stall with my single stage for the rifle calibers as I dont load that many. Making 300 rounds of 38spl or 9mm on a single stage press in one day can be quite tedious and a progressive is very advantageous, however running off 20 rounds of 30-06 on a progressive aint saving you near as much time
Old 02-25-2004, 04:34 PM

I reload with a Bonanza Co-ax; swaped it for a CB radio in the 70's. the guy wanted that radio bad, gave me more stuff than I could carry in one trip. Took me a while just sorting it out and figuring what it all was, as I was new to the reloading game. I'm not a serious shooter, just some plinking and my hunting loads. Felt pretty good about the deal when I found out what that press went for. I also fell heir to an old turret press that I use in conjunction to the Co-ax.

Russ

Quick Reply: What reloader do you use and why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.