Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Inconsistant bullet length and COL? >

Inconsistant bullet length and COL?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Inconsistant bullet length and COL?

Old 02-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Inconsistant bullet length and COL?

I handloaded my first 22-250 rounds yesterday, and ran into an unexpected problem. Being that I'm inexperienced, I was being very careful and checking and double checking each step to make sure I was doing things correctly, and to make sure each cartridge was loaded exactly the same as the others. Well, as I began seating bullets I was measuring each with a digital caliper (accurate to 0.001") to verify that the COL was exactly as the data specified (2.350"), and found that each round would come out slightly different. After checking and rechecking to make sure the seater die (Redding seater) was set correctly and was secure and hadn't gotten out of whack (which it hadn't), I decided to check the length of the bullets. When I did I discovered that the Hornady 55gr V-Max FB bullets varied in length by as much as 0.005".

My question then is, given that each bullet is slightly different, how am I supposed to set the COL of the rounds without adjusting the die every time? I think that the variation is in the polymer tip, so the dimensions of the ogive should be consistant. My goal is to ensure that the gap between the bullet and the rifling is consistant. Right now I've loaded each round to the recommended COL, but after I find the powder charge my rifle likes I'd like to adjust the COL to get the optimum gap between the bullet and lands. I'm not sure how I'm to accomplish this with the bullet length variation screwing up my measurements.

Mike
Old 02-13-2004, 03:59 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Inconsistant bullet length and COL?

Ok, every bullet will be somewhat different at the tip. Especially soft pointed. With V-Max, should be more consistent. Here is what you need to buy. Go get yourself some Stoney point comparitors or wilson has them too. This way you will measure the bullets at the ogive or closer to where the bullet meets the rifling. It would be more consistent this way. sorry, its an expensive hobby.

Old 02-15-2004, 04:33 PM

I just posted this elsewhere, but it seems to work here too.
You might want to consider buying a Sinclair Bullet Comparator ($16.25). The Bullet Comp. gives you a way of measuring the cartridge length based on bullet minor dia. using your caliper. That is needed when you start working with bullet seating depth or jump of the bullet to the rifling. Measurement to the bullet tip is rather useless except to be sure your finished round will clear any magazine out there. I have the best accuracy with my .22-250 with about .020" of jump. It does make a difference. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:41 AM

I have noticed a slight variation in my OAL when loading soft point. When shooting groups I try to match bullet lenghts but even when I don't it is such a slight variation that I haven't noticed any difference in groups. When loading Nosler ballistic tips I have not noticed any variation in OAL. But I load a either .25 or .30 cal bullets, with the smaller caliber the +/- difference may be a big factor. Have you tried to group with the different variations?
Old 02-17-2004, 09:07 AM
bigcountry

I will tell ya what. Ever since I got a redding competition seater, it has made alot of difference. Check out my post on barnes seating to see how much inconsistent seating can cost ya. The comp seater didnt' help my runout as planned but seat these bullets very consistently

Old 02-17-2004, 10:46 AM

Checked out your post Bigcountry, great groups @200yds!. as you proved variation of .02 will affect accuraccy. My point (which I didn't make real clear) was sometime going out to range, as you did, is the best way to test these variations. I just bought a box of 180 seirra's for my '06 that I am going to start trying loads for. I am going to buy the redding comp seater or the bullet comparator (or both) and see how much of a differnce it does make, I'm hoping it does.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

On most of my rifles a little difference in OLC makes no visable difference in group size. It may in some guns but unless you are talking a drastic difference, I don't think you would ever see the difference.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:21 PM
bigcountry

James B, I totally agree. On all the bullets I have tried, this Barnes XXX in my 300RUM is one that makes a huge difference in .02" variations. Thats the reason I posted my results. I was kinda shocked at the differences. I have tried all kinds of experiments with Accubonds, matchkings, and partitions, and didn't see this huge difference. Basically once I found a load like 94gr of H1000 with 180 partition with 3.6 COL. I varied it from 3.58" and then to 3.66". No very noticible group difference. I did get velocity differences. I gotta go out this weekend to verify. I usually do a 5 shot group and usually at 200 yards. I don't think you get much from the 100 yard 3 shot group.

Old 02-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I quess its a matter of what lenght a person wants to go or what he considered accurate. Any gun that I have that will always group one inch with three shots at 100 yards is plenty accurate for all of my needs. I have yet IN MY RIFLES seen much difference in group size by minor OCL difference. Every gun is different however and I would not argue with anyone who finds such a difference in theirs.