Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 I finally took the plunge into reloading...what do you think? >

I finally took the plunge into reloading...what do you think?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

I finally took the plunge into reloading...what do you think?

Old 02-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I finally took the plunge into reloading...what do you think?

I finally broke down and did what I had meant to do for a long time now and bought myself most of a handloading setup. I wanted to thank all of the wise sages of the reloading forum for your contributions to this board which has greatly helped me decide on what to buy.

The stuff I got includes:

RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit
RCBS Carbide .45ACP dies 3-set
Redding Deluxe 3-die set for 22-250 (Neck and F/L sizers)
Used Forster Case trimmer with collets 1-4
Lyman Flashhole uniforming tool
Cartridge specific reloading manuals for both .45ACP and 22-250
Digital caliper
1lb Varget for the 22-250
1lb Universal Clays for the .45ACP (recommended by the salesman who says he loads it for his 45. Claimed it to be a clean burning powder, and I liked it because the data indicates it produces moderate pressures)
55gr. Hornady V-Max bullets
Winchester primers for both calibers (lg rifle and lg pistol)
RCBS spray case lube (Case Slick)

Stuff I still need to get:

Pilots for the Forster case trimmer. I came with .30cal but I need .451 and .224.
Case tumbler...I'll probably order the Frankfort Arsenal tumbler from MidwayUSA. Both of my local shops never seem to have tumblers in stock.

Anyway, I think I have just about all I need to get started except the tumbler. If ya'll have any suggestions regarding other nice tools to have I'd appreciate them. My goal for handloading the 22-250 is best accuracy, and I'll be reloading the .45ACP just for target shooting.

Man, I'm excited to finally get started. I think I'm going to go make a spot on my workbench to mount the press too right now!

Mike
Old 02-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I finally took the plunge into reloading...what do you think?

Congratulations on your new hobbie!! You will also need a Bullet Puller (Frankford Arsenal), and powder trickler. Midway also sells Frankford Arsenal Classic Wood Reloading Trays which work better than the reloading tray that came with your kit. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:26 PM

driftrider,

Congratulations and welcome to loading. One thing I always suggest to those just getting started, is to read your manual twice before you actually start to use your equipment. Loading can be as simple, or as complex, as you wish to make it. Let us know if we may help in any way. Good luck and God Bless.[&:]
Old 02-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

It appeas that you got some of the good stuff.....I wish I had started out that way.....I fumbled around a lot until I discovered the "good stuff". It's a hobby that will stay with you a lifetime....congrats friend!!
Old 02-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need one, but they are nice: Stoney point OAL guage.
Sounds like you have some nice gear to start with
Old 02-06-2004, 06:49 PM

Big Bob could not be more right. I just started handloading two years ago. I just jumped right in with a 22-250, and have had the good fortune not to kill my fool self before several graybeards stepped in with that self-same advice. Now I read everything I can on any new caliber I load before I even buy the dies. The more you get into it, the more fascinating the subject is. Two years ago, I didn't even know who Elmer Keith was. Today, my shop is becoming a shrine to him.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

driftrider, Congrats on a fine outfit . Your starting out with way better than I did when I first started . My first outfit ran me less than $30.00 but it did the job .
Old 02-07-2004, 05:29 AM

ORIGINAL: BigBob .30-06

driftrider,

Congratulations and welcome to loading. One thing I always suggest to those just getting started, is to read your manual twice before you actually start to use your equipment. Loading can be as simple, or as complex, as you wish to make it. Let us know if we may help in any way. Good luck and God Bless.[&:]

I could not have said it any better & would like to add that if your not sure & can't find it in a book then ask before you do it. It may save you a lot of trouble or form getting hurt. (learned this the hard way)
Old 02-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just ordered a Frankfort tumbler and trimmer pilots from MidwayUSA. The next time I get to the gun shop I'll pick up a bullet puller and I think I'm also going to get the big Hornady reloading manual since I'm loading Hornady bullets. The Speer manual the Rockchucker kit came with has good background info, but doesn't give loads for my exact combination of components, and since I have almost zero experience with handloading I'm not about to experiment with stuff I'm unsure of.

driftrider, Congrats on a fine outfit . Your starting out with way better than I did when I first started . My first outfit ran me less than $30.00 but it did the job .
Yeah, but I've spent more money than I thought I would too. [:@] If my wife knew exactly how much I've spent she'd take my new reloading press and beat me over the head with it. But what she doesn't know can't hurt her (or me), right! The money I spent was actually saved for buying a new revolver for deer hunting next year, but after thinking about it I decided I'd be better off finally getting a reloading setup, and buy the handgun. I've always kindof looked at things like this from a "spend the money now, or spend it twice later". I could have bought a cheap used Lee press for $25, but eventually I'd likely replace it with a Rockchucker anyway.

I'm very happy with the stuff I've got, and I think it'll serve me well for a great many years.

Mike
Old 02-07-2004, 05:04 PM

Driftrider,
Looks like you've got a pretty nice setup. I see a few things on your list that I use also. The Midway tumbler is excellent. The RCBS press and accesories are top notch. You will love the Redding dies.......they are the only ones I use. You might want to consider the carbide sizing buttons for the FL and Neck dies, they are kind of expensive but well worth it in the long run. They especially make full length sizing easier and you can neck size w/o any neck lubing. And the Varget powder is a winner for sure. I use it exclusively in the .22-250 and .223 and have several sub half inch groups in both calibers to show for it to boot. I agree on the cartridge specific wooden loading blocks, I use the ones Sinclair Intl. sells. They are well worth the money. Good luck with your reloading!

Quick Reply: I finally took the plunge into reloading...what do you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.