Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

300 XTP

Old 01-26-2004, 07:57 PM

Default 300 XTP

Hey y'all,
Just wanted to see if any of y'all have any experience using .44 300gr Hornady XTPs on deer. How is penetraton and expansion? My setup is a Ruger Super Redhawk w/ 9.5" barrel and my load is pushing the XTP at around 1250fps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Will
Old 01-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 300 XTP

SC,
Not with pistol, but I use them with sabots in my muzzleloader, and they are awesome. Very accurate and huge exit holes. Most have dropped in their tracks.
Good luck,
Charlie
Old 01-28-2004, 03:30 PM

Also have used XTP's in my muzzleloader, and have had no problems with penetration, pass right through. My friend that got me into muzzleloading has killed more than 20 deer with them, and none has needed a second shot, and only one ran more than about 50 yards.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:08 PM

preciate the info y'all