Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

realoding????

Old 01-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Spike

Default realoding????

i got this brass that the guy i got it from said it is 1 time fired.. my problem is that only a few of the brass will go in the gun and let the bolt go closed. i tried to reload some last night with fl dies and some of them went in hard in my fl sizer die do any of you know what is wrong with this brass???????
Old 01-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: realoding????

This is a common problem with brass that is fired in one gun and then loaded for another gun.It is due to the difference in chamber dimensions of the two guns.To avoid this problem only reload brass that is new or has been fired only in your gun.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should always full length size brass that hasn't been shot in your gun.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:20 PM
Spike

ok next ?? is will it do any harm to my gun if i can close the bolt i loaded about a half of a box.. or should i just take them apart and start over..
Old 01-18-2004, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take them apart or set them aside the cost of ten shells aren't worth fooling with . Not knowing exactly what your doing ,I can only say the most common problems are poor lube ,improperly set sizer die ,crimping untrimmed brass or bullet hitting the lands on the rifling because its not set deep enough . If you didn't crimp you can set the bullet deeper ,you might try that . Hal
Old 01-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Spike

halcon the brass was that way when i got it just the brass will not let the bolt go close i resized a few and loaded them they let the bolt go closed but tight.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would disassemle the cartridges and full length size them. To err on the side of safety is to not err.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

1. i tried to reload some last night with fl dies and some of them went in hard in my fl sizer die do any of you know what is wrong with this brass??????? 2. they let the bolt go closed but tight.
1.Are you lubing them well before sizing? You cannot expect a cartridge fired in one gun to go into a different one before sizing. If it DOES go in, that's a BONUS!!

2. TIGHT is NOT BAD! It means you don't have excessive headspace, which CAN happen if you set the shoulder back too much with the sizing die.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:15 PM

Were they trimmed to length b/4 loading? I have some reloads that my uncle di for his 22-250 that will not chamber in mine. I trimmed the ones that were tight and did fire, and they now fit great, FL Sized as well, but trimming was the key.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:48 AM

Check your case length. Sounds to me like you need to trim the cases.

Quick Reply: realoding????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.