Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 I realy need your advise.....!!!please comment >

I realy need your advise.....!!!please comment

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

I realy need your advise.....!!!please comment

Old 01-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I realy need your advise.....!!!please comment

Vapodog.....You remember when RCBS used to advertise the slogan.....precisioneered...."you might as well start with what you are going to wind up with"....those words are as true today as they were in yesteryear. My father, bless his heart brought me up that way, it has certainly helped me.

doubleA
Old 01-17-2004, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Vapodog advised, your better off buying quality handloading tools the first time around. RCBS RC Supreame Master Reloading Kit will be the last kit you will ever have to buy. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Ice,
I just bought this kit from Bass Pro for $79, and it came with the Lee Reloading Manual, a real nice, thick book with lots of great info in it.
The scale is VERY sensitive, more so than my Lyman 505. The powder measurer looks real cheesy, but I ran some powder through it yesterday, and it was right on the money and worked great. The rest of the stuff looks to be well made, and as soon as my dies come in this week, I'll let you know how it worked.
Charlie
Old 01-18-2004, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto to what the guys here said about the RCBS rockchucker kit. I would definately buy that one if you can and thats the last one you'll ever have to buy.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:58 AM

Hi,

Thank you for all the advise. I have looked at the RCBS and it looks nice. I am just wondering i will probably not reload more than 100-150 shells a year and the Lee is 3 times as cheap as the RCBS. Should this be something i should considder??

Kind regards from snowy Iceland
Ice.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

icelander,
If you're only going to do that few of reloads a year, it might be best to just stick with factory loads.JMO
Charlie
Old 01-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Contrary to what other's might say, if your on a budget get the Lee set. There is nothing wrong with it. Is it the best no, but will it do what you want yes. Is there any difference with the ammo that is loaded with it NO. The one thing I would suggest is to buy a better scale. The Lee safety scale leaves a lot to be desired. I like the Lyman 500 scale. Any way you go, as you progress you'll be adding to your setup with better quality equipment and other things to make the job easier. Have fun and follow load data to the letter.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:05 PM

That's the set that I stared with. Of course I have added on some equipment, and upgraded some. Try Cabella's, I got it from them for about $70. I have reloaded around 600 rounds in the last year, and only thing I don't like is that the press doesn't seem to maintain COL well.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would buy the kit along with a Lyman manual.
The Lee stuff is good enough to start reloading with, you can always upgrade to a beter RCBS press later. I prefer the simple Lee case trimmers over the pos RCBS trimmer I have, I think Lee had the right Idea with these. I've never used the Lee powder thrower or scale, but its pretty tough to screw up a beam balance- just make sure to calibrate it every time you move it, and if the powder thrower throws within +-.5 gr. you'll do just fine with it- I would get a baffle for it if it doesn't have one already.
Lee dies- never had a problem with them.
Lee reloading manual- might contain good procedural information, but I would immediately upgrade to a Hornady, speer, or especially Lyman manual before working up loads- Lee's load information is generally very conservative and anemic.
If you ever decide to upgrade to a better press- no harm done- having a 2nd or even 3rd press set up for different calibers or for resizing and seating makes life alot easier for lazy people like me.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

100, 150 rounds per year? Lee!!

Quick Reply: I realy need your advise.....!!!please comment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.